SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanctuarygirl

how to get light with lots of porches: clerestory windows?

sanctuarygirl
13 years ago

It is just amazing how multi-layered this process of thinking about design is these past few years as I am planning for a truly liveable home.

Anyway....after the long thread on porches, it got me to thinking. I am one of those for whom porches-smaller one on front, plus a deeper porch in back-are a high priority. But another one of my high priorities is lots of natural light. Porches do make it harder to get that light, so I find that I am reevaluating all the plans I thought I loved to see how this could work. I thought about transom windows (???), but then clerestory windows suddenly popped in my head. How hard/expensive is it to incorporate clerestory windows into a plan? I see them mostly in contemporary designs, with some in craftsman-style homes, not many in traditional designs, though. Anybody seen any good examples online that you could point out?

Is ceiling height the key element when clerestory windows are desired? Do you have to have lots of vaulted ceilings (a feature I want to minimize for HVAC expense reasons) to have room for a clerestory? What are the other considerations?

Comments (18)