SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house_vixen

Small Bath Reno, 90% Done (Semi-Vintage; ~6x11; 6x6 Running Bond)

house_vixen
15 years ago

AKA our "Rectilinear Romance" remodel....

I'm focusing more on the outcome than the journey, because the journey wasn't particularly pleasant (and that's from someone who did an endless, mostly-DIY budget kitchen reno!).

I had a direction for layout and materials from the get-go, though Mr Vix was very involved and veto'd some of my best ideas, ha. But *of course* I did use various wonderful online buddies and photos to help finesse the "vision" -- and hired an architect pal for a few hours to advise on how to treat and tile the window zone.

Quick stats of our 90% done reno:

[note: IRL colors in our little natural light bath = butter yellow tile, grey floor and shower pan, and a bluish/greenish/greyish paint]

� Modest 1905 house; we've been in for 6 years and aren't purists when we reno though we preserve original stuff

� DARK 6 x 10.75 1st floor bath; bounded by a hall, an exterior wall, a BR/den and a stairwell (hence the funky drop to ~ 6 feet)

� Used a GC for parts; GC'd other parts ourselves with subs we trusted; and DIY'd a bit more than we'd hoped to do!

� We donated our unearthed clawfoot-sans-paws, old vanity, and misc to a resale place

Waiting on double bullnose tile pieces; tile pattern began with run between the windows and all cuts relate to that (for better or worse)

Best part until we actually got semi-functional -- demoing tile walls and floors!

Thanks Bill V and Mongo for walking us through when we (hrrrumph) unexpectedly ended up having to use SLC to level our floor prior to terrazzo base install

Close up, terrazzo pan's curb + tile + Marmoleum

Window area was a huge pain re ordering/framing, but results aren't bad

Centered reno around these salvage doors: IRL, had to constantly advocate using them; then fell out of love when using progressively more toxic cleaners to clean lime/calcium deposits seen in 1st pic; then began to H8 THEM when painting...but back in love now

Turned 1st 50% of stair landing area into bench/niche, 2nd 50% into storage accessed from basement

Why Mr Vix and I had to fall in love with a liner tile that had little rectangular slivers of oyster shell on it vs saving money by using the same type of iridescent glass I installed for our kitchen backsplash, I don't know...but we did and have no regrets

� Terrazzo shower base/pan from Creative Industries Terrazzo; Marmoleum floor; Kohler Sterling Dual Flush toilet [love it]; Kohler Forte faucet; marble remnant for bench; zebrawood vanity and mirror [latter not yet installed]; rock bottom-priced 6x6 DalTile for field, spendy DalTile for liner; custom unpainted cabs using our salvage leaded glass doors

Thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge-sharing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vix's Extended Dance Version Bath Reno

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz