SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

Bathroom Tub/Cement Board Screw Up? Need Help Quick

ms222
11 years ago

My contractor is coming over tomorrow and I need help quick with some questions. I have a project going now, where they did not extend the durock past the tile flange, and you can see the ugly black screws that secure the bathtub to the studs. When I spoke to them about it, they said not to worry, that they will add mud around the tile flange area and then the tile guy will float it so that the tile is correctly aligned and covers the cement board and the mud they will add. Will this method work?

It seems to me that they should have shimmed the studs to allow extra space for the durock to extend all the way down to the flange. What would your recommendation be in this scenario? I want to solve this before moving forward.

Also from the picture, you can see that they placed cement board all the way to where an exit door is. I want to place 3" bullnose right passed the edge of the bathtub, but the rest I want to be painted and then have a door trim and pine wood baseboard. Wouldn't that area have to have a small strip of cement board for the bullnose, but the rest should be drywall to allow for the door trim and pine wood baseboard? Thanks for the help guys!

Comments (6)