SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shifty1981

How to decide on Shower and bath parts?

abwhitney
13 years ago

We're redoing our first bathroom. The layout is pretty much set the way we like it, we're just replacing and updating everything. We'll have a 60 inch wide tub by 32 inch deep and a 48 inch vanity.

I looked on faucetdepot.com (where we bought parts for our kitchen) and there are so many options for faucet parts I'm overwhelmed.

How do I decide if I want a 1, 2, or 3 part shower handle set? We plan on having a tub and a shower and probably a side shower w/ hose and bar for high adjustment. So there needs to be a way to control the water temperature, whether to use tub or main shower head, or to use the side shower head that should be movable and come with at least 5 foot hose. We've seen some bad brass parts at nice homes (corrosion or cleaning chemical reactions) so we're set with either chrome or brushed nickel. I like the latter, but it's more expensive. I read about some extension nozzles that the water on/off switch is at the top of the main shower head, something we're not looking forward to.

Next, how in the world do we choose a good tub? It's a basic tub, with right drain, 60x32, not a drop in, not doing whirlpool or soak tub. One contractor says we should get cast iron, another says no need to with today's durability. We don't plan on being here more than 4 more years, max.

Everything looks beautiful at the local bath store, so we usually go online to look at reviews.

Any thoughts? links would be great.

Comments (3)