SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Anyone put in a stone fireplace w/ a window above it?

oakrunfarm
16 years ago

I have kind of an unusual situation in my new build, and I would like to get input from others on it.

Our new home has a 2 story Great Room in which the original plans called for a large masonry fireplace. Our current home has four woodburning fireplaces - none of which we ever use - so we decided to go with gas direct vent fireplaces, and forego the masonry chimneys in the new build.

In order to bring more light into the Great Room - which has a 20 foot ceiling and is a large room - we put a big bank of windows along the back wall. (The large middle window is where the masonry chimney would have gone on the outside of the house.)

Under the large middle window is going to be a big fieldstone fireplace with a raised hearth. It will be vented out the back wall.

Now, I know if someone stands there and thinks about it, they might think, "Hmmmm. There is a fireplace but no chimney, because there is a window. How could that be?"

But we wanted to take advantage of the space and get more light and right now, it does look nice.

My question is... Should we take the fieldstone all the way up to under the second story window? (That would be like 12' or 13' high.) Or should we just make the fieldstone mantel height and stop it, and put some art over the mantel on the wall? The stone guy thinks we should just make it mantel height. (Either is fine with us.)

I have looked and looked for photos of this situation, but haven't found any. I know it is kind of an odd set-up, but we wanted both the windows/light and the fireplace, so that's what we've got.

My second question is what type of mantel to use with a fieldstone fireplace? I may not be able to convey this well, but the whole house is very formal except for this one room. I am trying to have a lodgey look to this room, but want it to have a sophisticated look too - so I think I should steer clear of a very rustic or unfinished wood mantel. Maybe stone or a highly polished wood mantel in simple lines? I'm kind of lost here.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions! :)

Comments (2)