SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suevani

Is it a big deal to remove & replace a drain and overflow piece?

suevani
14 years ago

Is it a lot of work to remove a chrome drain and chrome overflow piece in a new tub? I have been thinking about switching my master bath finish from chrome to brushed nickel on my plumbing order. I had been told by the plumbing store (not my contractor) that only "rough" plumbing pieces (like valves that have no finish) had been ordered at this point. I came home to find my tub with an installed chrome drain and overflow piece. None of my other finish pieces have been ordered. The plumbing store will return the drain and overflow piece (with a small restocking fee). However, the plumber will have to remove these two pieces and reinstall the brushed nickel ones. The plumbers have completed rough plumbing and won't be back until the finished plumbing goes in. I would just ask the plumbers myself about this, but I won't see them again until close to the end of the project and the contractor has made it clear that he (not the homeowner) communicates with the subcontractors. It really isn't the fault of the contractor or the plumbers, as my order is for chrome at this point (and I had never discussed my desire to switch to brushed nickel with them-- only with the plumbing store salesperson). If this removal and reinstall is a big deal, I'll probably just leave the chrome (without ever mentioning this issue to my contractor-- who will undoubtedly be annoyed with this change). Do you think that this change would entail more than a nominal plumbing fee (given that the plumbers are coming back here anyway)?

Comment (1)