SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wannaknow1

Experience and Opinions in buying a floor model

wannaknow1
9 years ago

I have read postings here by those who have gotten good prices on a floor model and so have been able to get a more expensive brand which might have not been considered otherwise.

I wonder what your experience is with buying an appliance that way. I have this mental image of a floor model on which all the buttons/dials/doors/options have been pressed (or punched or slammed), either by impatient kids, or by potential customers who want to see what this appliance 'feels like' to operate. Even if the customer was reasonably gentle, it seems the buttons would have experienced more contact than you might be giving it in your next year of use. I've seen people pressing buttons because the machines were lining the aisles that they were walking past. What impact does this have on the machine? It is not like a "small scratch" that you can see and make a reasonable judgment call. Does a store do anything above the regular warranty as they sell it to you? (I expect they do not.)

How much do stores usually discount these floor models? Is there a special time of year they do this, or do you just have to happen upon a floor sample sale?

What do you think about taking a chance on national retailers, such as Sears, that will sell something "slightly" or "damaged as noted" (maybe a return from a delivery?) from a warehouse in a different part of the country? Would you take a chance on buying it?

Thanks!

Comments (20)