SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutherokie_gw

It's July -- How is your build progressing?

13 years ago

Flgargoyle said he/she would be away today, and since I'm living vicariously through all of you who are making such swift progress, I thought I'd pick up the thread! We're all set to finish up a full year later than we'd expected. Goodbye Labor Day, hello ... Halloween?

Comments (71)

• 13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am so excited I finally get to join everyone! I have been lurking for about a year and learn so much about the building process. Our builder is pulling permits and we should be able to start in a few weeks. Will try to post some pic's of our lot. We are meeting with the kitchen designer tomorrow...I am a project manager for work, so I like to get things organized and picked out.

Next week is selecting our stone, brick and Hardie plank, and front door.

• 13 years ago

We are finally in the home stretch -- cabinets and countertops have been installed, painting continues and is nearly done. Next week we expect the plumbing and electrical trim out to be completed. Landscaping will begin next week as well. I have learned so much from reading about everyone's experiences and appreciate all the tips!

Here are a few photos -- everything is a pretty dusty:

Lots of lighting trim!:

Chapel off main entryway:

View in Great room:

Dining Room:

Kitchen (A). Cabinets are walnut, granite is River Bordeaux:

Kitchen (B). Cabinets are walnut, granite is White Spring:

Laundry room:

Great room (B):

Master Bedroom (A):

Master bedroom closet. Cabinetry in solid maple:

Master Bathroom (A). Granite is Costa Esmeralda:

• Related Discussions

It's July- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (78)
    Sorry to get back to you late... been on a small vacation The shower wall shown in the pic is 6'L x 6'H. Add an extra 2' of tile to the side and ON the side of the closet (it's just out of frame on the right). The shower is 4' wide. The tile guys did a great job with the floor, so all of the water goes to the drain, no matter where its splashed too. I'm 6' 2" tall have had no problem with any water splashing out onto the floor. I thought my wife was crazy not to have a door, but it has worked out just fine.
    ...See More

It's July 2013! How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (88)
    It's been a long time since I posted our floor plans to the forum. We broke ground on July 1st and they have completed the basic framing of the first floor as of today, (except the garage). We completed demolition on the old house in December and since then, several old houses on our street have come down and been replaced. We are one of the few that bought the lot and then hired an architect - the other lots seem to have been snapped up by builders who then sell the homes on spec (the neighborhood is in a tremendous revival, so the economics work). It is an urban home - I feel sometimes as though I am the only person who isn't building on lots of land :) Foundation piers/garage slab: Framed 1st floor:
    ...See More

It's July, 2016- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (207)
    I read on another thread that you sold your condo and are currently renting while waiting for your build to begin. I hope you don't mind my asking why you sold your condo so early in the process Thankfully, we could easily cover two mortgages but that wasn't the reason. Our market in FL was hot last year and the year before and with the election etc. we felt it was better to sell when we knew the market was hot, rather than wait. Additionally in our downtown area, there is a tremendous amount of building going on. Seven new condos are going up around us and the general rule is people prefer new even though those familiar with our area, know that our building is one of the most desirable and well run in the city. Plus with all the new condo's going up, we think there's going to be a glut on the market. We also lucked out that we were able to rent one of the condos in our building that didn't sell, so moving was relatively easy.
    ...See More

It's August, 2016- How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (243)
    There is some great progress being made by so many of you this month, thanks for sharing! @cpartist don't give up! It's taken us two years to get to where we are from when we first bought our land. City and environmental planning seemed like it would never end, then one day we actually got to break ground. Our home exterior is almost done, the final masonry for the entrance is going up today then we are ready for soffits and fascia. We finally found a good carpenter who fixed the old ones mistakes and passed our framing inspection with flying colours. Although it took ripping down and rebuilding some interior walls, which felt like moving backwards, we are now confident it's done right. HVAC is complete and we just got started on plumbing and electrical. The process has been a bit slower than we originally anticipated because hubby has went from general contracting the job to doing a lot of it himself. That's what happens when you are a perfectionist architect who wants to oversee your design/want to keep the borrowing to a minimum. We are looking forward to making more progress on the interior and hope we can move in by Christmas with our new baby. It has been good keeping track of progress on our blog and seeing how far we have come when things feel like things aren't progressing as fast as we want www.casadivillani.blogspot.com
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

I think I've become a construction site junkie. I just love looking at all the progress pictures. I'm so excited for all of you! A hearty welcome to those starting out.

Wwwonderwhiskers, I'm so sorry for your cabinet snafu. I hope there is a fix. My cabinet maker said to me recently, "It's how you fix your screw ups that determines your success in this business. Everybody makes mistakes, but how you handle them is the key."

Beagles, your ceiling heights are amazing! Ratucker and joclube, what idyllic settings! Can't wait to see your houses unfold.

The painters have started on the outside of our house. Although this is just the primer coat, the final color will be white. We have also added the porch piers and porches, but we are still in need of columns. Her is the front:

And an oblique angle of the front from the master bedroom side:

The back:

The lower driveway and garage/carport entrance:

The tile guy has been busy. All bathrooms, laundry rooms and mud room have been tiled. I took advantage of the July 4th sales and bought the washers and dryers and put them in before the hardwood floors were installed.

And speaking of hardwood floors, we have the finished flooring stacked in the house with the air conditioning running. Once it is all acclimated, we will lay it, and the white oaks that once stood as trees where our house now stands will be back home as flooring.

Meanwhile the cabinet maker has been working hard, too. The boxes are installed in the kitchen. Doors and drawers will come later when there are fewer people banging around.

(pardon the tilt of the photo)

We also have the vanities in the master bath:

and the built-in linen press:

a peek at the master shower:

and the trim and walls inside have been primed, so they have a more cohesive look now:

We should finish up interior and exterior painting this month along with floors, finish plumbing and electrical. We're hoping for a dry spell to get the final grading done.

Good luck to everyone!

• 13 years ago

We have been away, and I took these photos just before we left for the beach last week. They actually worked a ton this week...but I didn't get pics today. I also LOVE seeing everyone's progress...I feel like we are all pregnant together or something! ;)

Here are some quick shots of chez nini:
    The front with the doors stained (but still no shutters yet)

I worked with the carpenter to find a way to "fancy up" the cased openings into the family room

My poor, nekkid island without its walnut top. View of my range wall (tile is not grouted in this pic, it looks much whiter now.) Marble is trying to peek out from under its cover. The doorway on the left leads to my "hidey hole" (home planning area) and walk in pantry, and the doorway on the right has the butler's pantry (it's not that big, so it seems weird to call it a "pantry" but the KD calls it the "Butlery" which I think sounds a little grand, but whatever! :) Formal dining is beyond. Fridge, more perimeter counters, sink, dw, window are along the left wall that is not shown in the pic. No sink or cooking on the island, just partying and homework!

My claw foot tub that has no feet in this pic! I am really happy with the way the carpenter did the trim.

Builder thinks we will be in at the end of August! Yikes!

• 13 years ago

buckhead - it looks so pretty white!!!! I am a sucker for a white farmhouse and know you are thrilled! And nini - your brick looks great. We have been painting various brick samples and should be bricking pretty soon also. Windows are mostly in but big snafu with 6 of the french doors (not a standard door) so all have to go back and be redone. . . The good news is that they were SO completely wrong that no one could tell us to live with them

I'll post pictures later this month as I want to get the roof on and the brick up before doing so!

• 13 years ago

Everyone is making such great progress! Very pretty houses coming together--Constantinople, all I can say is WOW! And that front door is stunning (finally)! Nini-love the wainscoting, subway tile, cabinetry & moldings-absolutely beautiful! BuckheadBilly-Gorgeous furniture style cabinetry--I am so envious! Jolculbe-Stunning entry with the curved overhang/porch! Beautiful view too!

Here's our progress...

Exterior:

Family Room looking @ Fireplace:

Family Room View:

Kitchen Looking In From Family Room:

Dining Room:

Stairs & Pantry Area Underneath:

Master Bedroom:

View From Master Bedroom:

Master Tub Area:

Son's Bedrooms:

View As You Enter Mudroom From Garage:

Plumbing is in progress and Roofing & Electrical are next!!!!

• 13 years ago

Framing is almost completed

• 13 years ago

Constantinople, your home looks amazing. Cabinetry is lovely, and the granite coordination is fabulous. Love your choices there.

Buckheadhillbilly, thanks. We shall see tomorrow morning. Big pow-wow on site with 3 levels of their management. We'll see if they've heard of your wisdom, LOL. We will just be there for support - this is the builder's battle, and he is furious.
    Lovely setting for your home, btw!

Nini - LOVE your cased opening trim! And your cooktop backsplash. I might borrow both those ideas if you don't mind...... have not been able to come to terms with what might look good behind the rangetop on mine - was going to wait until everything kinda came together, then see what didn't fight with other elements. Love the herringbone thing you have going on there.

There are two places in the home where I feel like I wish I'd put more energy - the cased opening from foyer to dining room is one. I've see a delightful idea recently - yours is my second find - great idea there. I wanna just get INTO the house, then see what it needs, and where. That's the plan anyway.

• 13 years ago

ImaCurvyGirl-That stone is lovely! Would you mind sharing the specs on it?

wwwonderwhiskers-I'm so sorry about your cabinets. Hopefully the cabinet company will put it right for you. I'd inquire about a hefty discount to make up for lost time & the hold up for other trades. In the meantime, sending ((hugs)) to you and encouraging slow deep breathing :-)

• 13 years ago

Great pictures all... I am so excited to see some new folks here, like Buckhead, I love looking at this thread to see the progress!

Speaking of progress, Buckhead, love the white, but I bet it was a bit shocking after getting used to the golden yellow, wasn't it? I see you still have a teensy weensy bit on the gable end of the party pavilion for old times sake! The white is great on your place. I too love your furniture details on your cabinetry and linen press.... I just went to Provence and came back with a bunch of linens.... can I stop by to "press them?" Just kidding, but it is all beautiful, and I also think your trim came out so well, and I think this way was the right way to go... are you loving it?

Nini, love it! The white is great, and your kitchen looks awesome. Can't wait to see that walnut island :-) I also love your fancied up opening.... might try to spruce up several of my doorways --- every time I see them, I think about it, so I guess I should stop thinking and start fixing!
    wonderwhiskers, sorry about the cabinet situation, keeping my fingers crossed for a good resolution.

Mydreamhome, looking great! I especially love your master bedroom view... and the tub view is great too.

Beagles, you have so many spectacular details, it will be fun to see them all come together as you keep progressing. Amazing ceiling height and detail!

Constantinople, you have such gorgeous granites, but I think my favorite thing is your walnut cabinets. They are so pretty!

So many beautiful settings here.... the grass is definitely greener on your side, ratucker. How is that possible to have such lovely grass? My build site is a muddy, dirty mess and it keeps raining in the afternoons and the mud runneth over. The builder is even having a street cleaner come in today because it is such a mess. Landscaping will start this weekend and that should help, but I am envious of that green green grass!

We are in the final stages as well, expect to move at the end of the month. I haven't been out to take pics in a couple of weeks. If it doesn't pour, I'm going to snap a few tonight to upload.

Congrats on all the great progress and looking forward to more pics!

• 13 years ago

Mydreamhome, our stone is called Timber Ridge, and comes in both building stone and thin stone (real stone, not veneer). What's "odd" about it is that the stone is basically a plain gray on one side, and then full of color on the other (copper, red, black, tan, sometimes more than one color mixed on a piece!). We asked that they place the stones on the house so that the colorful side was facing out, with an occasional "gray" side popped in. The builder thought we were crazy, but once the mason was done, we've had nothing but compliments from everyone who has seen it (including the builder!).

• PRO
    13 years ago

Here's the front & back of our new construction and our selection of brick and stone which will be combined with board and batten. The brick will be on the foundation as well as the retaining wall and the stone will be on the front gables. The rest of the home will be Hardie board and batten. The excavation/footers/framing/roofing went fast - now we're inside and its slow. They're working on heat & a/c and the electrician should start by end of the week.

• 13 years ago

After my whining of last month, we went back for our two week visit in late June and found that a LOT of progress had been made. In fact, it was almost, but not quite, too much progress too fast. We arrived on the same day that the drywall was delivered and happened to mention to the GC (again) that we needed to make sure the vacuum system was installed before the drywall went up - right? His jaw dropped and he said, "I totally spaced it out." A few frantic calls to several dealers and we found one that couldn't do it but told us that with a little patience we could run the piping ourselves, thus keeping the drywallers on schedule. Two long days later, we had it done! Boy, were we proud of ourselves!! And not only did we save the day, we saved money also. Awesome!

This is such a fun forum! It's always been interesting to see how everyone is progressing but now I'm finding it's exciting to see those of you who are breaking ground this year and just getting started. I'm so focused on all the decisions that still need to be made (paint colors, which rooms to plaster vs. paint, ceiling treatment in the great room, tile choices in the bathrooms, etc., etc., etc.) that I forget how many we've already made. Yes, it's stressful but there are many satisfying moments along the way. Good luck to all who are starting this year from one who is a year ahead of you.

Here are pictures of our drywall. Such a change when it goes up - the rooms really change character.

The great room, looking toward the front door.

The great room, looking from the loft.

The loft bedroom, that will be our office.

The master bedroom.

We're heading back this weekend for another two weeks - can't wait to see what's in store for us!

• 13 years ago

Our builder started framing this week.

• 13 years ago

Our foundation is ready for plumbing! He should have the rough in done by the weekend and hopefully pour the slab next week.

Monday

Wednesday - Just have to grade the garage slab and form the front porch

So happy to be posting in this thread!!!

• 13 years ago

After going from the high of finding the perfect lot for us to the low of thinking we would not make it through the loan/appraisal process, we are excited to finally be able to post some pictures. Thanks to everyone who provided thoughts, ideas, and encouragement. Will probably have more questions, need more moral support all the way to the end!

Just getting started and it is great to see everyone's progress and designs. We are building a one-story with a walkout basement; almost ready to start framing main floor.

View entering our street last fall

Pre-build

Foundation excavation

basement walls from driveway

Floor joists in place

• 13 years ago

SPF5209 - What a view!!! Gorgeous.

• 13 years ago

Wow, how gorgeous is that view SPF5209! I am jealous, lol. Can't wait to see what you guys put up!

• 13 years ago

Moving along fairly well, other than some of the subs like the stone guys not coming back! Most of the tile is in and painting is done. Hope to be starting hardwood soon.

Tile on first floor

Tile in kitchen before the grout.

Stone on exterior, waiting for stone guys to come back and finish the mortar and stucco. Or I should say TRYING to wait patiently, but running out of patience.

• 13 years ago

Just getting around to posting pics. These are from 2 weeks ago. Foundation started late May and framing mid June. I will try to get some new pics soon. House is coming along.

• 13 years ago

Congrats to everyone and the beautiful progress pix!

Buckhead, we're neck and neck! They're doing the electrical and sewer hook-up, and tile guy is going at it (had to retile the listello around 2 tubs, because they were too 'saggy' and also irregular gaps between the glass tiles...another $100 in tile, down the drain!). He thinks it'll be mid august, (about 3 months late), but we'll see. I have already guilted him with 1. my july birthday, 2. my sister's 40th birthday party, which WON'T be held at my house now, and 3. kids back to school August 17th. I'll try to post pictures, but too busy buying toilets and now door handles (Emtek, right? Someone let me know if they found a good discount source!)

Good luck to all!!

• 13 years ago

Constantinople: who makes your sink in Master Bathroom A?

• 13 years ago

We broke ground this week! Here's a quick peek at our week:

Day 1: Dug the foundation.

Day 2: Put down the footing.

Day 3: Filled in the footing.

Day 4: Started ICF. I posted a few extra pictures because many people haven't seen ICF construction.

We have many more pictures on our blog because it's much quicker than posting here, but we definitely want to share you guys.

Here is a link that might be useful: de Jong Dream House

• 13 years ago

Curvygirl - LOVE your siding. I am in love with dark gray. Unfortuantely, our HOA is not, so we opted for the Granite Gray instead.

• 13 years ago

Cookie08,

It is a Nameeks Gaia 80. I got it from Faucets Direct. Nameeks makes in a bunch of colors and finishes. White is the least expensive -- which isn't cheap!

C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nameeks Sink

• PRO
    13 years ago

ICF- take lots of pics and post them often! I will be watching your build with high interest! let the journey begin.

• 13 years ago

We have walls!! This is what the site looked like on the Thursday morning

and by Friday afternoon all the walls were up.

One panel did have to be replaced this week because it cracked when it was set down quickly due to the fast incoming thunderstorm. This is the front with the replaced panel.

This is an overhead shot of house. It will be a one story with a walkout basement.

• 13 years ago

lzerarc, thanks! We're adding pictures daily to our blog because it's so much easier that uploading to photobucket, resizing, grabbing links and posting them here.

Anyone know an easier/fasterer way?

At any rate, I'll try to post weekly here.

• 13 years ago

We're day 7 into our build, and the basement blocks are in!

{{gwi:1475868}}

Tomorrow morning, they'll pour the concrete in, let it cure on Wednesday, and then start the main level floor and framing for the porches on Thursday.

There's more pictures on the blog. My hubby has done a good job with a photostream on snapixel, but we can't figure out how to have captions up with the stream. Anyone have experience with that?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of our build

• 13 years ago

Crappy fuzzy camera aside, they installed about half the granite today. It is FABULOUS!!! Yes, they're fixing the cabinetry - should be done by end of this week, so we're not too far behind. They told us yesterday that we could grab our 30-day lock.

BESIDE myself with this particular slab of J.Crema Bordeaux!

From other end - that space opposite the sink will be the rangetop:

Stone is just fab:

Small but awesome butler's pantry - the stone here is amazing! Bookmatched splash to the right where (or course) you cannot see..........

MBath, they will also do the lowered area small vertical places there to cover up the cabinetry install butchery, but again - all 118 inches will be bookmatched:

This stone - small batch, I heard, some anomaly of some other color style - we flipped over it & grabbed a half-slab soon as we could... white crystal, jet black eyelashes, truly cinnamon colored swirling, with both silver and bronze mica pieces, and grey & smoky quartz veining - it is a WOW. They will finish the backsplash later - color here is pretty good on my PC:

Busy day today - Granite Tuesday!

• 13 years ago

We had an unexpected surprise yesterday:

{{gwi:1475875}}

We had about 18' in the basement underneath our future dining room. The cement hadn't been poured into the ICF walls yet, so the forms floated up. It ended up being a 3 hour delay while the builder got a pump to drain the water, and the forms were re-set and re-leveled. The concrete was poured in the afternoon and is curing today. I'm stunned that we're still on schedule.

They're calling it a 1000-year storm. So many people had sewer backed up into their basements, so we can't complain too much.

Here is a link that might be useful: flooding

• 13 years ago

Framing is almost complete on SL Sand Mountain SL977

• 13 years ago

It's been pretty quiet on this thread. Anyone else have issues with flooding or the heat wave? Our Amish crew is amazing. They're still working through this heat and so far this week have gotten all the footers poured, laid the enire lower level with ICF forms, poured the ICF walls, laid the cement blocks for the garage (3 car), front and back porches, and are now working on the beams. I'm in awe. I can hardly stand to be outside for five minutes to take pictures. Today i brought them popsicles and ice.

• 12 years ago

We have concrete. They poured the basement floor on Thursday.

Since it is over 100 degrees here in central NC, we covered the concrete with burlap and are wetting it down twice a day so it does not dry out. We don't have a well yet, so we had to buy water and rent a water hog.

• 12 years ago

We are getting trim! This part is so fun because I love these details! I also ordered the LAST light fixture. I don't like recessed lights so we have chandeliers in every single room, which means that was quite a major undertaking (22 chandeliers or flush mounts, not counting sconces!)

Looking into dog room- there will be a grooming tub and an area for built-in crates here:

Chandelier for dog room (I am extremely excited about this. It just came and is painted to match my dogs!):

Dining room with medallion:

Sunroom

Trim closeup:

Breakfast nook:

Bedroom with medallion and doors to private deck:

Other bedroom wall (cabinets will go here)

Bedroom with doors open:

• 12 years ago

Beagles, the chandelier is adorable! It's been hot here too, but with a fan it's tolerable in the house - making me very impressed with the blown foam insulation!

Today they installed garage doors & openers, and the stone mason spent past two broiling days on the back porch splitting stones for the wood-burning fireplace... Weatherface Split in a dry-stack.

Everyone's home looks so amazing!!! And there is some beautiful country out there.......

• 12 years ago

Our Amish crew is amazing. In the last 7 days (including saturday and sunday off), they have:

*stacked the rest of basement forms
    *braced the basement wall
    *drained the basement after a freak flash flood and historic rain
    *reset the forms on the footers and re-straightened the walls
    *poured the concrete into the ICF forms
    *laid the concrete blocks for the garage, front porch and back porch
    *installed the steel i-beams, supports for the i-joists, and the i-joists for the main level
    *laid the sub floor
    *installed the moisture barrier wrap
    *passed the basement inspection
    *started laying the blocks for the main level.

Here are a few photos from this morning:

As you can see, today they have been busy back filling around the basement. In the last picture, you can see the window frames. One benefit of ICF walls is the thick window frames that are almost as wide as benches. I'm about to head back to the lot this afternoon to see the frames go in and the rest of the first floor blocks go up.

As always, we have more day-to-day details on our blog.

• 12 years ago

ICFgreen, it's so good to hear these type of comments about a crew - looking good!

Beagles - I am so enjoying looking at your windows..... I'm a "windows" person too. Your home is going to be lovely - am going to enjoy watching your progress.

dekeoboe, aren't central nc summers miserable? just finally got away after 20-some years down there every year thinking it was just too hot (unless one was beach, or poolside - rare in these working days). can't imagine having to hose down the cement - but your pics of pouring cement were fun. didn't you enjoy watching?

JMPhoto - love your first floor tile, and love your stone exterior! Lovely!

• 12 years ago

www - this is actually our first NC summer. We just retired here after 28 years of moving around in the military - last summer was San Antonio for me and Baghdad for my husband. And it was too hot for me to go watch the concrete pour, but I did go back to water it once this weekend.

Tomorrow they drill the well. Fingers crossed it goes well.

• 12 years ago

We're drywalled and getting paint now. Well, primer anyway. When we went to meet with the builder today, the guys were spraying primer. We tried to tiptoe in from the basement to take pictures and ended up inhaling a lot of paint fumes (cough cough). But it's interesting to see how the rooms are really starting to look "real."

The upper windows in our foyer from the upstairs hallway:

DH's office/computer room (large extra bedroom)

Our master bedroom from the sitting room area

Sunroom

Kitchen

Our cabinets are due in just over 2 weeks (okay, maybe really in 3 weeks), so that's next. Although the builder is planning to let the tile guy get started in some of the bathrooms where he can, so as not to lose the time we've gained on our schedule.

Also, just because I think it's awesome, my parents' house is getting their stone front installed. The masons really are artists...

The weather has been horrible here, with heat and humidity that made you sweat just standing still. I know much of the country is like that, and I'm so appreciative of all the guys who work when it's hot. I'm happy to say I know the crews took the day off when the temperature and humidity spiked above what was safe to work in. Schedule be damned, there's no reason to risk someone's life.

Everyone's houses are looking great! Looking forward to continued progress from all of you!

• 12 years ago

We went back and forth with our builder on wether to go with off-white mortar or gray mortar. We ultimately decided to go with the off-white since we wanted a little bit of a country type of look. I am just a little worried the white mortar is too bold. I am open to opinions.

• 12 years ago

ooh, Downsey, that's really pretty stone. do you know the name of it?

• 12 years ago

JMphoto, I think the off-white mortar goes well with the color scheme on the exterior. Seems a close match for the doors and trim, looks completely like it belongs there. Love the color of your shutters, too.

• PRO
    12 years ago

ICF - My stone is being made by Stone Solutions in Chattanooga, TN. They are matching a Horizon stone product in the 19th Century style. The color is called Shenandoah with buff mortar. My sample photo above was wet so the colors are darker and more intensified than they will be when the stones are dry!

• 12 years ago

Downsy, thanks. I really liked the dark colors :-). We have gray siding, and are learning toward Paragon Popular Pluff Manor Stone, which is very similar.

• 12 years ago

last week brought good and bad news. The bad being that we have a 600 ft dry well. Yeah, not so good when you were drilling for water. We hope to get some further information on the best way to proceed this week. If the current hole has to be abandoned, it will probably tip us toward going with geothermal because we could use the hole for the loop field. That would allow us to recoup some of the costs involved in drilling the hole.

On a happier note, we have a main floor, so we can now see what our views will be from the rooms on the main floor. The 2x4s are all up in the basement, so we can see what size the rooms will be down there. Wow, since we ended up with the full basement, we are going to have so much extra storage down there. This week the 2x4s will go up on the main floor. The roof will go up too, which means we will be able to see how much light comes into the main floor rooms.

view from the front door, the dirt will be graded down, so eventually all you will see is the woods

view from the kitchen window

view from the family room

• 12 years ago

Dekeoboe, it's fun to see another house going up on much the same schedule as ours!

This week, our amazing crew:
    * backfilled around the basement
    * made and set the window casings for the lower and main floors.
    * graded the lot
    * built the stairs to the main level
    * stacked the forms for the main level
    * framed the front and back porches
    * framed and wrapped the garage
    * poured the concrete in the main level forms
    * framed the interior walls on the main level
    * placed the I-joists and sub-floor for the second floor
    * built the stairs to the second floor--this is not quite the way I envisioned it, so tomorrow my DH will meet with the GC to see if we can make any changes.

{{gwi:1475925}}

{{gwi:1475927}}

{{gwi:1475929}}

{{gwi:1475931}}

{{gwi:1475933}}

{{gwi:1475935}}

{{gwi:1475938}}

{{gwi:1475939}}

{{gwi:1475940}}

• 12 years ago

Thought I'd wrap up the month by posting the floors which went in this past week. First event of sand-stain-urethane is done, and after they finish the wood-burning fireplace, they should finish the second round of floor finishing. (those funny looking bags hanging from the ceiling was our wrapping around the lights & fan motors trying to keep dust & debris out of the new units.... )

Flooring is site finished, 4" wide boards #1 common White Oak. Finish is Minwax's English Chestnut, with Waterlox satin urethane.

This the view coming in the front door:

But this is probably the best example what the color looks like:

I think it will look gorgeous next to the wood-burning fireplace! Stone is split Weatherface done in drystack:

View in kitchen area next to the back door:

They say we're closing August 18th... we'll see!!!! This weeks' gonna be crazy - final lighting, Phase 2 granite, finishing the fireplace, installing the gas fireplace..... all this while I am supposed to be working and packing! I am holding on to my hat - WHEEEeeeeeee!!!

• 12 years ago

wonder whiskers! how exciting to be so close to the end! The coffered ceiling is stunning!

I'm curious about your stairs. (We're in the middle of a stairs "situation" right now). can you show us a picture of the stairs from the great room?

• 12 years ago

How exciting for you wonderwhiskers! Your house is looking lovely!!