SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_morning

Size of Hood Insert for custom wood - ModernAire/Prestige

new_morning
10 years ago

Sorry if this is a repeat post, I can't seem to find the answer to this question anywhere.

After reading every thread on GW on hoods, I think we've settled on these criteria: 42" hood over 36" range, 1200cfm, 27" Depth (if possible). We have 8' ceilings, and the vent, if possible, will go straight out back (exterior wall). Thus, motor will be internal/ inside hood.

With a custom build, the size of the hood can easily be 42"x27". Now, which liner to purchase? Here's what I'm not clear on:

1. The ModernAire can be purchased at either 24" or 27" depth. Will the larger make a difference (in quality of removing fumes/smell) if it is raised inside a 42x27 custom hood? In other words, is the 27" more powerful, are the baffles actually any larger? Does anyone own this product - what do the baffles actually measure?

2. The comparable Prestige Power Pack UIB401200 (40" insert, 1200 cfm) specifications (on AJ Madison site) read that the depth is 15", and the
Cutout Width: 37 1/8"
Cutout Depth: 16 5/8". What does this mean? And can I assume that this product would be inferior to the ModernAire at a larger depth (or is the actual baffle size the same on both products)??

Confused.

Thanks for anyone who owns these, or has info on these, and can chime in!

Also, one more side note: I was told that it does not make a difference whether you put in a liner around the insert, as long as the liner is raised 6" or so. Thoughts?

Comments (9)