SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima_gw

Tile guys - how to tile the end of the knee wall? How to top it?

biondanonima
16 years ago

My bathroom remodel is going to involve the construction of a knee wall to turn my bathtub from a corner to a 3-wall alcove installation. Sketch (courtesy of Tom P Pa):

I don't know how thick that wall needs to be to accomodate a shower valve and such, but I assume it will be the standard 5". I want it to end flush with the edge of the bathtub, instead of having it extend past the edge as shown. Is this possible, or will I have leakage problems? I was planning to top it with a glass slab - I've seen some glass saddles that would work, or I could have something fabricated by the people who do my shower door. Again, though, I wonder about water issues. Any better ideas are more than welcome!

Anyway, this means that I'll have a 5" wide area to tile with 3x6 white subways. Hm. How do I get 2 finished edges on a 5" area with 3x6 tiles? Do I even need finished edges on both sides? I ordered 3" bullnose to do the outcorner, so can I just use those and leave the cut, non-bullnosed side flush with the edge of the tub? Will that look weird and unfinished, or will it be hidden by caulk? Also, will it look strange to have those tiles stacked when all the rest of the room is done in a running brick pattern? Should I order some 6" bullnose pieces and run them vertically to make a kind of border on that edge? Opinions appreciated - thank you!

Comments (5)