SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juno_barks

Refrig: Whirlpool WRF540CWBM, Bosch B22CT80SNS or ...

juno_barks
9 years ago

... Frigidaire FGHG2366PF Gallery.

My quest is for a 36" wide counter depth FD with LED lighting, a good chance of being reliable, and with good quality ice (filtered water) - but neither ice nor water in the door.

Am somewhat persuaded that whirlpool has a good record. The model WRF540CWBM looks like its new, as it has no reviews, and it states that the lighting is LED.

My ovens will be Bosch benchmark, and my local appliance guy suggested the Bosch, and said that unlike the ones with poor customer satisfaction, this model is being made in the US at one of the Whirlpool factories.

I like the handles on the bosch, but its at least $1000 more than the whirlpool.

Frigidaire is in the mix because it matches my criteria and on some web sites it claims to have a smudge-proof finish.

Any thoughts on these models? I'd love to keep the cost below 2K, which is possible with the whirlpool or frigidaire.

What other models should we look at? Is Jennaire worth a look?

Many thanks for your invaluable advice.

Comments (7)

• Barbarav
    9 years ago

Hi Juno, looking at the bosch too. Wondering if anyone out there has this 800 benchmark series yet? We're looking for the same things- internal filtered water and ice. I'll have to check out the whirlpool. This refrigerator purchase is so difficult because of negative reviews and as a result of hearing/seeing some appliances in person.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Whirlpool is well regarded when it comes to fridges but the "WRF" series is a brand new design that is unproven. Unless there is a feature on the Bosch besides the handles that makes you like it better than the Whirlpool I don't know why it would be worth paying $1K extra when it comes out of the same factory. Frigidaire/Electrolux is made in Mexico and no longer known for quality when it comes to bottom mount and side by side refrigeration.

I would get either the Whirlpool or look into the newer US made GE french doors. They do have a model that meets your requirements, PWE23KSDSS. 36" counter depth french door with internal water dispenser and factory installed ice maker, no thru the door ice or water. I have had the non counter depth thru the door ice/water version of this for 2 years now with no problems. Love it.

I should add though that when this new generation of GE french doors came out, there were complaints about excessive noise. I had one of the first and it always seemed quiet to me, but they did make available a silencer kit for the field for those who were bothered by it and made some changes on the production line.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 0:07

• Kylir Horton
    9 years ago

We have been looking for a refrigerator just like this one as well. We are leaning towards going with the Whirlpool WRF540CWBM. I haven't found any reviews of it at all really. I did find this rebate that might be applicable though:

http://www.goedekers.com/assets/Rebates/Whirlpool/CurrentRebates/whirlpool-amazing-summer-savings-600-08032014.pdf

I'd be interested to know what you think of it and which fridge you end up with.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

There are reviews for the 3 fridges on AJMadison.

All 3 have very weak warranties, you should download the owner's manuals on these fridges and read the warranty in detail!!!!!

Whirlpool is the weakest~~if they can't fix it during it's one year warranty, "YOU LOSE"!!!!!!! A replacement is not offered in the warranty.

Bosch and Fridigaire do offer a replacement if the fridge can't be fixed.

None of these fridges have any "Extra Length warranty" on the "sealed system'~~~~anyway read the warranties for yourselves, before purchasing.

Whirlpool
    1 year, charge extra for "remote areas"

http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/itemdocs/WRF540CWBM_Warranty_EN.pdf

Bosch

http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/itemdocs/B22CT80SNS_manual.pdf

Frigidaire

http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/itemdocs/FGHG2366P_owners.pdf

Strangely enough, all 3 of these fridges get pretty good reviews, but one should see how old the reviews are to get an idea about the reliability of each.

At the very least, I would buy an extended warranty for any one of the 3 fridges~~but~~~~only after checking out the warranty company and the company that will "Actually" be doing the repairs!

Gary

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The reason the warranty is so bad on the Whirlpool branded unit is they are using it as a marketing tactic to differentiate between their brands. If you want a better warranty, you gotta step up to the "higher end" brands like KitchenAid and Jenn-Air even though the fridge will be exactly the same in most cases. Here is the KA fridge warranty I copied and pasted out of an online manual:

LIMITED WARRANTY
    For one year from the date of purchase, when this major appliance is installed, operated and maintained according to instructions attached to or furnished with the product, KitchenAid brand of Whirlpool Corporation or Whirlpool Canada LP (hereafter âÂÂKitchenAidâÂÂ) will pay for Factory Specified Replacement Parts and repair labor to correct defects in materials or workmanship that existed when this major appliance was purchased, or at its sole discretion replace the product. In the event of product replacement, your appliance will be warranted for the remaining term of the original unit's warranty period.
    SECOND THROUGH FIFTH YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY ON CAVITY LINER AND SEALED REFRIGERATION SYSTEM
    In the second through fifth years from the date of purchase, when this major appliance is installed, operated and maintained according to the instructions attached to or furnished with the product, KitchenAid brand will pay for factory specified replacement parts and repair labor for the following components to correct non-cosmetic defects in materials and workmanship in this part that prevent function of the refrigerator and that existed when this major appliance was purchased:
    â Refrigerator/freezer cavity liner if the part cracks due to defective materials or workmanship.
    â Sealed Refrigeration system (includes compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer and connecting tubing).
    SIXTH THROUGH TENTH YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (SEALED REFRIGERATION SYSTEM ONLY - LABOR NOT INCLUDED)
    In the sixth through tenth year from the date of purchase, when this major appliance
    is installed, operated and maintained according to instructions attached to or furnished with the product, KitchenAid brand will pay for factory specified replacement parts for the following components to correct defects in materials or workmanship in the sealed refrigeration system (includes compressor, evaporator, condenser, dryer and connecting tubing) that existed when this major appliance was purchased.
    YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL BE PRODUCT REPAIR AS PROVIDED HEREIN. Service must be provided by a KitchenAid designated service company. This limited warranty is valid only in the United States or Canada and applies only when the major appliance is used in the country in which it was purchased. This limited warranty is effective from the date of original consumer purchase. Proof of original purchase date is required to obtain service under this limited warranty.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Yes, You are correct, hvtech42.

These are all "low priced fridges" and they are not charging you,
    "up front", (part of the purchase price) for the warranty, as the more expensive fridges do.

"Chances are", they are just as reliable as the "Fancy Stuff", perhaps even more reliable.

I never bought a "really fancy fridge" till the Jenn-Air and it's the only fridge in the 50 years or so, that I've had fridges that ever needed a repair.

Fortunately I found a good repair company and it was fixed "straightaway" and for less than $300 and whilst I really like the fridge and it's features, reliability wise it can't match those older fridges, alto do any of the new fridges have the reliability of the older ones?

Gary

• weissman
    9 years ago

>>>Whirlpool is the weakest~~if they can't fix it during it's one year warranty, "YOU LOSE"!!!!!!! A replacement is not offered in the warranty.

Is this even legal?!? Many states have lemon laws and I doubt they could get away with this but they're probably hoping people don't know their legal rights or that the units won't die during the first year.