SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima_gw

Shower plumbing questions - the valve connects to the ????

biondanonima
16 years ago

Okay, so I'm trying to understand how this whole shower plumbing thing works. I posted this on the plumbing forum but no responses - I know you all will have the answers though! Here's my setup:

The knee wall shown does not currently exist. The contractor/plumber will be building the knee wall and rerouting the shower plumbing into it. Right now, the handles for the shower and tub filler are both where the tub filler is shown in the sketch, and the showerhead extends from the middle of that wall. They are 2 separate fixtures (I can run bathwater and use the shower at the same time). The new tub filler will be in the same spot as the old one.

After a screw-up that cost me $100 in restocking fees, I bought a new thermostatic valve with integrated volume control for the shower - Kohler K-680-KS (K-T16176-4A for trim). I also purchased a chrome shower riser. Now, as I understand it, the shower riser attaches directly to the top of the valve. However, the riser I bought does not have a threaded connection on the bottom, and the valve has a female threaded connection. So, how do I connect them? Is there some other piece that needs to go between valve and riser that I am missing?

On a related note, the riser is 5/8" outer diameter, which is standard from what I understand but doesn't seem very substantial to me. Since this is going to be exposed and supported only by the knee wall and a couple of bracket attachments to the glass wall, should I try to find a heavier/larger diameter riser? Will the 5/8" pipe allow for enough water flow to give me a satisfying shower?

As for the bath, since I am leaving it where it is and I'm not super concerned about consistent water temperature, I was going to leave the old valve there and just put on a new faucet. The old faucet has 2 handles (6" apart) and a separate spout - I assume this means that the old valve is set up to accomodate 2 handles? I found a new fixture with 2 handles with an adjustable spread that I assume will work with the old valve, but it does NOT have a separate spout - so perhaps it won't work. Again, your advice is MUCH appreciated!

I realize that my contractor/plumber should be able to answer all of these questions but I really want to make sure I understand what's going on with this remodel - thank you to all of you experts for taking time to explain!!!!!!!

Comments (8)