SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

has anyone seen these AMAZING sconces? ( Xposted)

kateskouros
15 years ago

reward if found!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (50)

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Kate, PLEASE be sure to post if you get a response-you have no idea how timely this is. I've been searching for something like this forever!! Beautiful!!!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

will do. i MUST have these, no matter the cost. i LOVE them!

• Related Discussions

Has anyone ever seen this persons work with butterflies?

Q

Comments (1)
    Aggie, Wow! He has definitely added a number of fab things to his 'collection' over the years! Several years ago he emailed me and asked if I'd send him some of my pictures so I know that there's a 'gallery' of some of my pics on his website. :) Here is a link that might be useful: Collections of butterflies...
    ...See More

Has anyone ever seen this amazing lamp or the symbol cast into it

Q

Comments (4)
    The crossed swords usually indicate a military officer, and the torch eternity (or, truth/knowledge). It may have been produced as a commemorative for a military death. If you type crossed swords and torch into a search engine, you'll get a number of hits where military have used this symbol.
    ...See More

Has anyone seen 4x8 sheets of Travertine veneer?

Q

Comments (5)
    Three years later and we finally know about this product. I don't consider this house to be our forever house so I was looking for budget friendly countertops. After visiting a local shop we found ceramic slabs that were 24" x 48" and decided to put that in since it would require minimal grout lines; three to be exact, no big deal. Today, we went to the store and the nice lady introduced us to travertine thin slab sheets that are different sizes depending on the color. We chose 38" x 84" which means we will only have one butt-joint line in our L-shape kitchen and our 3' x 4' island will have one continuous slab sheet (the left over will be used for backsplash along with glass tile). Countertops for $410, wow!! Here is what I found online: https://www.stoneplyresidential.com/applications/counters/residential/kitchen-countertops/
    ...See More

Has anyone seen this Jennair refrigerator?

Q

Comments (2)
    I cannot recall if I have seen this exact model or not as we have been refrigerator shopping for the last couple of weeks and I feel as though I have seen every fridge on the market! I do remember looking at multiple JennAir fridges with the black/charcoal interior and I think it looks lovely but I keep almost squinting at it. I feel like I'm looking in a car with black interior at nighttime, if that makes sense? It does not seem as though it would really show more smudges but then again it depends on what type of smudges you are referencing. A black car is beautiful when it is first washed but just a bit of dirt and it surely shows but a white car can drive through road construction and still look fairly nice. The drawers, I believe, can be opened individually with only one door open. Hope what I can remember helps a bit, sorry I can't be sure about this specific model but JennAir does have more than one model with this interior.
    ...See More
  • pattiem93
    15 years ago

Now you've got ME obsessed! I've done every Google search I can think of. I may have to take the pic to a local lighting store and see what they think

• karenyang
    15 years ago

ditto. have either of you tried emailing sanddollardevelopment? i'd be happy to, if you haven't tried that already. perhaps they can refer us to the designer of the family room?

• momtothree
    15 years ago

Have you tried urbanarchaeology.com?

Also, where did you find this picture? Was it a magazine or online? If a magazine, what year and name of it?

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Great idea, Gerbera! Thank you!! Off to check urbanarchaeology...

• Zoe52
    15 years ago

Those are GORGEOUS! Let us know if you can find them.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i found the image online. i sent an email to someone at sand dollar, but haven't gotten a response yet. right now i'm in hershey PA with the kiddies for a little family time. i will call them as soon as i get back. i don't think i can let this go... GOT to have them.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Have fun, Kate, but don't forget to keep us posted-I want them too!!

• Cynthia A
    15 years ago

Hi
    I checked to see who was the interior designer and I believe it is Dennis Rolland. You may want to try emailing or calling him and see if he could help you.
    Those light fixtures are beautiful!
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dennis Rolland Inc.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks cynnamama! i'll call him as soon as i get home!
    i'm hoping it's a nyc resource, since not far from me.

• karenyang
    15 years ago

found them - they are Donghia, available (we think) to the trade only, so find a designer friend: http://www.donghia.com/accessories/lighting/regina_collection.php

If anyone finds out how much they are, please share!

I found them through a friend who works for a high end (super high end - if you have a budget, it's hard to work with him) designer here in the Bay Area - her boss recognized them! I think that doesn't bode well for my being able to afford them. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: donghia sconces

• karenyang
    15 years ago

oh hello, just noticed your other thread - sorry for the duplication! please share pricing if you find it, and I'll do the same!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i'm still trying to find out. my designer friend mentioned something about giving up a lung? doesn't sound good...

• karenyang
    15 years ago

oh god, i need both my lungs......but maybe if i stop exercising.......

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i think stopping exercise is the only thing to do. desperate times call for desperate measures. STILL trying to figure out how much these things actually cost. not seeing my decorator friend for another few weeks and it's very difficult to reach him. have arrived at point of insanity.

• karenyang
    15 years ago

my designer-assistant friend is also looking in to this, but she's not computer-oriented so sometimes it takes her a while to reply back (but she always does)..... may take a few days, but i'll post when i find out the current trading value of a critical organ.

did you know that the sconce is available in 3 colors? Sepia, graphite and gold dust. i only have 2 lungs. will they take a limb?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i believe it would amount to two entire legs, plus lower half of midsection. even still, they would certainly look beautiful in my family room. hopefully all of these questions will be answered soon!

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

they ARE gorgeous.... I'll be able to call my decrator client on Monday

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Still waiting to hear fromm Donghia, but my decorator friend showed me these- 1,064.00 each. The Donghia one (which I prefer) will most probably be more
    This may be a harder sell to DH than I thought.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbara Barry Sconce

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh no. i'm not feeling the love for the barbara barry sconce. you really think the donghia will cost more? hmmm... i might have to do some extra work in the bedroom. i didn't want to resort to sex but i might have to. and then what if it doesn't work? oh my God. the things we do for lighting...

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

I know-I was thinking the same thing. And I already HAVE 6 kids!
    I agree about the Barry sconce. It was the decorator who implied that she wouldn't be in the least surprised if the Donghia was more

• amyks
    15 years ago

I don't have a dog in this fight (although I would snap those sconces up in a heartbeat, and I will keep them in the back of my mind) but ya'll are crackin me up. Yes, sometimes we do resort to sex for lighting. Or furs, or jewelry, or granite, (mine to the tune of $25,000 EXTRA) etc.......;~))

Amy

• mikeyvon
    15 years ago

$1000 walls sconces and $25K in granite. The sex better include a 3rd girl or something real kinky for those kind of prices.

You might look at a local glass blower and see what they can do for you. Get some custom sconces made up.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Too funny! The word "sex" comes up and Mike's right there! Actually, I don't think there's enough "kinky" out there to convince my husband that 2 sconces should cost close to 3000 dollars, BUT it turns out I may still be able to get them for a "workout". I'm a personal trainer and the decorator emailed me and implied that we MIGHT be able to work something out. Hmmmm....

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what does that mean in practical terms?
    pattiem, might you be able to get an extra set for a price???

i'm going CRAZY over these things!

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Kate, she hasn't gotten back to me and I really don't know how serious she is. She made an off-handed remark that she'd love to train with me and this might be a way to do it since she doesn't want to actually PAY my rates. If she really wants to barter, I'm good to go! Did you ever get a price?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i won't see my decorator friend until the end of this month. the thing that bothers me most is i can't find ANY reasonably priced lighting. and everything in retail is so run-of-the-mill. doesn't anyone have any beautiful fixtures at reasonable (i didn't say cheap) cost??

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Kate, I'll keep you posted-wish I could promise you she'll do the barter thing, but I just don't know. We were actually talking about lighting costs when I first asked her. She said there are tons of "lower" prices options to a company like Donghia (which is known to be VERY high end), but that lighting in general, if you don't want the Big Box store type, is ridiculously pricey. The other issue is that much of the really nice stuff is only available to the trade. She suggested that if this particular sconce doesn't work out, we should look at Czech glass. NOT cheap, but definitely less than Donghia. Also, talk to your decorator friend about what she may have in her own stash. In the conversation, I mentioned that I have been on the lookout (for the last 2 years!) for a dining chandelier. She said she had a European one that had been a sample in her workroom and I was welcome to look at it-I can't wait to see if it's what I want! I won't see it in my neighbor's, it's designer quality, and I'll get a major price break. I remember when I was working in the field that sometimes designers have things on hand that might have been used in a showhouse-they will be very willing to sell at a deep discount. I will let you know when I hear from her

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this just in from decorator's assistant:

Hi Kate,

The Regina wall sconce is $1,750.00 plus tax and shipping, which is approximately a 5% discount.

Denise

i'm out. dh will come home and find me collapsed in a pool of blood on the floor. very, very sad. deeply wounded...

• Zoe52
    15 years ago

No wonder we were all drooling! I assume the price quoted was for just one sconce.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

OUCH! Well, I haven't heard from her yet, but it looks like if I'm going to be working out for those sconces we're both going to lose a LOT of weight!!

• lincolnduncan
    15 years ago

I've been following this post for days, anxiously awaiting the price. Kateshourous - your response cracked me up!!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Well, I have to say I love you all here. You have given me so many smiles, following this thread. In this forum I am merely a lurker (we did a substantial nearly whole house reno, not a new build, but at times some of the spaces felt like new build!), but I had to chime in because I loved following you all.

I must be really out of it, but $1750 didn't seem that bad to me for a sconce. Is it? Maybe if you need five or seven of them, but for two it seems reasonable. ??? I know when I got the chandelier for our dining room for And for what it's worth, I absolutely adore Sherri Donghia's personal style. Every time I see her I just stare: she wears the most interesting clothing and jewelry, all picked up from her far-flung textile searching adventures, I'm sure. I love her charisma!

I hope you all find the lighting which makes your heart sing, be it this sconce or something else.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi rmkitchen, funny seeing you here! i'm used to bumping into you over on kitchens, of course. i think i would agree that $1750 would not be so extreme if we were only doing a room or a reno involving a few rooms... but with building a new home the costs seem to be getting away from us and we haven't even put a shovel to the ground yet. i'm going to let you all in on something... we are personal friends of a guy here with a pretty famous band (and his wife) who live down the street from us. his first name is bruce. our kids go to school together. i can safely say if this particular couple stumbled across these and loved them they'd buy them. i don't know, even if my dh were a rock star instead of an attorney i'm still not sure i'd buy them for that much. besides, i just got a pair of headlights installed in my ear lobes for my birthday. ;*) now THAT'S lighting!

just a few days ago mikeyvon suggested finding a glass blower and having them custom made. well, this evening dh and i were sitting around watching waves crash against the sand and we got to talking about glass. dh had the very same thought. he said i should have a few sets made up and then sell them on ebay! well, i don't know if i'd even want to do that but i'm seriously looking into it. it sounds exciting. i wouldn't want to copy them, but to use them as an inspiration. so i'm on it, and i'll let everyone know how it's going... let's toast to these lovely sconces, may their light shine in our homes!

• ponydoc
    15 years ago

I finally opened this thread - it was getting too much attention... had to be something good! I was not disappointed.

While I would not trade sex for these sconces.... I have/do trade it for my serious equine addiction. The really funny part is I also pay for them financially but DH still insists on the occasional "pony payment"! LOL

The sconces are cheaper than the horses! LOL

They are lovely sconces though...

PD

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I am so excited about your project! You will have so much fun working with the artisan to design your sconces, and they will have so much more meaning to you than these Donghia sconces. Isn't it interesting how when one door closes a window opens?

I found some (antique) Delft tile I wanted to use as a surround for our family room fireplace. Then I added up the price. Ha ha on me! (So I totally get your point about being mindful of the "little" costs here and there which have a way of adding up to be not so "little"!)

Anyway, I thought about it, thinking what I could do to achieve what I wanted for less. And then I found a (Dutch) artist who painted scenes of my children and pets for like 1/5 of the cost of the (non-personal to me) antique tiles and, kateskouros, I love it so much more! My children love it, too, pointing to themselves, to our pets. Every one who's come over is intrigued by it (it seems like in a good way) because they all love how personal it is.

So it was a real win-win: I got to spend less (my first goal) and I get to live with a fireplace surround which makes my heart sing a personal song, and that's an even bigger win.

In our living room we have (ceramic) sconces I designed and had made to accommodate my too-big collection of katagami (stencils used to make the fabric for kimonos) and kateskouros, I love them. Now I don't love them as much as the tiles (but that's because I'm a besotted mum), but, like you, I had a vision of what I wanted and, with help, I got there. I'll be really excited to see your sconces as well!

And on a totally different note: guess what? My biggest beef with our new kitchen is the placement of ... our toaster! Seriously, every time I futz with it I think of it as "the kateskouros scourge." I don't mind having it out on the counter but I cannot seem to find an optimal place for it. You are so smart to think of the little things like small appliance placement when planning your kitchen. I thought of other doo-dads (like stand mixer, cuisinart, etc.) but for whatever reason, forgot about that utilitarian toaster. I guess I'll just live vicariously through you and your properly placed toaster. After all, we white marble kitchens need to stick together!

• karenyang
    15 years ago

Oy, I'm back from a few days out of town, and am distressed to read about the $1,750 price tag! What about selling blood.....I wonder how many pints = $1,750? I'm pretty sure my husband would be terribly suspicious if I started throwing myself at him all of a sudden. :)

I think this puts me out of the running, too, esp since I just found a dining table in the Lost Barrio (AZ), which I love, and we haven't even moved out of the house that we are going to tear down to build the new one yet. So every/anything I acquire has got to go in to storage for the next year.

kateskouros, I hope you find a way to create a sconce you love, or that these sconces magically fall out of the interior-decorating sky for you! Looking forward to hearing how this story ends up.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, rmkitchen! i've never seen your fireplace surround before. what a great idea and yes, i can see how your tiles mean so much more to you. this is exactly how to build a house... one brick (or tile, or sconce) at a time. my dh's brother and SIL just bought a new home and had ethan allen come in and do the whole thing all at once. ok, so i don't care for them one iota but honestly it is the most impersonal building i have ever seen. it might as well be an office building!
    and yes gerberdaisy, sad but true. $1750 per is not what i had in mind. i would have gone up to $1K each but no more. as for selling blood, that's not going to do it BUT: and this is a big but... i don't know how old you are and what your health is like but you could sell your eggs for invitro fertilization for some pretty good cash. so it will take a few months and you'll have to inject yourself daily and go through a brief surgical procedure for retrieval of the eggs, but you could get the sconces for SURE this way. no... i didn't think so. just another suggestion. so we're either hookers or baby brokers. a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

• karenyang
    15 years ago

my designer-assistant girlfriend shared that the sconces are $1,200 ea to the designers. their markup would normally be 35-40% (not sure if that is their normal rate, but it gets us pretty close to the $1,750 figure). So the trick will be to find a *really* good friend who will pass them through at cost plus a smaller margin.

Our architect seems to buy stuff for people (usually tile - Walker Zanger, etc.) at a designer discount (she's very open about discussing what she gets stuff for). When we get closer to actually needing to think about sconces (months and months from now), I'll run it by her. (If I run it by her now, she'll think I'm crazy - I'm trying to keep that cat in the bag for as long as possible).

In the meantime, let's hope RH or PB start distributing some mass-production versions that have this look! I think I'll survive if the glass on my sconces isn't hand-blown by little old venetian glass masters. And my organs and limbs (though perhaps not my husband) will thank me.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Well, I saw my designer friend in a class today and she told me she's trying to confirm her cost. She indicated that she expected it to be between 900-1100 based on about 17-1800 dollars retail. I'll keep you posted-h'mmmm....maybe I should have gone easier on her today?

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, obviously my decorator "friend" is holding back on me. i really thought he'd just get them and sell them to me cost. i'm such a sucker!

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Don't think that yet! My friend could be wrong! She told me that's what she EXPECTED, but she didn't have the info yet.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Kate, I heard from one of the designers-these are retail prices:

Pattie,
    Finally, I have your prices!
    The Regina Sconce in Gold Dust---$1820 ea.
    Graphite and Sepia---$1680 ea.
    Cheers!
    xoellen

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

so i guess my friend priced the gold dust w/their discount. i feel better about that. i still need to find a custom glass blower. not having much luck around here. but i really need to make more of an effort.

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

Wow! I had been ignoring this post because as beautiful as the sconce was (and it would be PERFECT in our house), I have all our light fixtures sitting patiently in our dining room and am out of money, but I missed out on so much fun! That's what I get for trying to stay on task!

I must say, you are lucky to be able to barter sex for something so beautiful. Lately, I've had to be 'nice' in the bedroom so that I don't get kicked out of the house over the cabinet fiasco! I'm sure they will be worth it though. I'll have fond memories every time I retrieve a piece of china from the corner curio, brush my teeth at the bathroom vanity, pull the broom from the broom closet... Huh. This isn't actually working out for me. It would be more worth it if I could stare at those beautiful sconces. Maybe over our nightstands? ;-)

j.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i don't think it matters much where you have them just as long as you HAVE them at all. i'd stick them in my ear lobes if i wasn't afraid they'd rip them off my head.

the kids start camp on monday ...all day, every day for six weeks. i can finally get to work on finding a glass blower then!

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Good lord. Only women could entangle wall sconces and sex.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

"Good lord. Only women could entangle wall sconces and sex. "

We can only do it with the man's very willing participation! LOL

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    15 years ago

really! we wouldn't even THINK of going there if it wasn't such a return on the investment. the promise of sex turns a man's head to pudding and yields a bounty of goods for the woman. it's a proven fact. my friend jill told me she receives $1000 for a certain act. i was shocked when she told me and accused her of being some kind of high class hooker. and then she asked if i were somehow different, eying my diamond studs.
    sconces or studs. makes no difference. it's all bling.