SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidmcd_gw

Insulation/House Sealing Help Needed

davidmcd
11 years ago

We are re-building our house (in upstate NY) after a fire and taking the opportunity to make the house more efficient (they just started re-framing so we are locked in on that front). An obvious starting point is to reduce the amount of heating and cooling energy needed. We did upgrade our windows and are now looking into insulation and sealing of the house.

I have been reading A LOT of opinions on insulation levels - such as 60-40-20 and sealing, but I am trying to get some solid information reference points that I can use to discuss with my builder.

The house will be built with 2x6. The front will be brick and the sides/back will be Hardi plank. We were planning to insulate the attic trusses to help keep the HVAC piping in more of a climate controlled environment. We are looking at spray foam to help with air infiltration, but are not sure if we should use in everywhere (attic, exterior walls, between basement ceiling and 1st floor). We were also going to use 1" foam planks behind the Hardi plank (can/should we put it behind the brick, too?). My build has said that we should be careful to let the house "breathe". I am also trying to find info on why that isn't (or is) a good idea so I can have an educated conversation with my builder.

I am sure there are a lot of things that I am missing, so lots of info would be welcomed! Thank you in advance for any pointers/advice that you may have.

David

Comments (10)