SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony20009

Trends - What's Going to Replace Stainless Steel Appliances?

tony20009
16 years ago

A poster (melisande)in the bathroom threads asked this question and though I gave her the answer there, it seems more appropriate to place it here.

melisande asked: what is the next trend that's replacing stainless steel in kitchen appliances. My response to her is below.

Actual colors are on the rise. We saw the beginning of this trend in the personal computer industry from some of the super high-end manufacturers such as Falcon Northwest. For $400-$800, they will paint anything you want on your PC case using the same paints and techniques used on high-end cars like the special edition Benzes and Bentleys.

Red is the early favorite, mainly because everything goes with red and it is at the same time fresh, "daring" and yet familiar, but the new trend strives for self determination rather than group-think (pack mentality), so as long as you pick a color you like other than stainless, white or black, it'll be in. I've noticed too that more and more folks are discovering deep, rich aubergine as the "new black." So that would be a good choice as it looks especially nice against the whites and myriad shades of brown already so prevalent in many kitchens.

This, thankfully, is a refreshing new trend, and I must admit that the super dark purples look amazing when you notice as the light catches them that "Oh, that's not black, it's purple."

Another nice thing about this trend is that you can buy your appliance in a color, but if you already have stainless appliances, you can just have them painted, thereby allowing you to delay having to purchase all new stuff. Just be sure to get a painter that knows how to apply the proper finishes a la automobile paint jobs. Some folks are actually preferring to custom order their appliances primed and have their own custom painting done so as to have really exotic treatments like pearlescent flecking (this is amazing when done in the purple I was describing earlier) or magnetic hologram finishes, which are especially cool. The only real issue with these though is that they are considerably more expensive than just your basic color, bur if you really want to make a statement, it's the way to go.

When you get down to it, though, the nice thing about the new trend for painted appliances is that there really is no limit to what you can do whatever your imagination (or your designer's) is the sole limiting factor to what's possible.

I would imagine it'll be about two years before you start seeing this reflected in the design magazines, as right now only a handful of folks have done it. I only saw this in one celebrity home in Malibu and one in the Hollywood Hills over the course of the last year. But each time I heard lots of oohs and ahs from the other guests at the parties, so I know it's coming. You know how it goes...one celeb does it, then another finds out it's expensive and different so s/he does it. Then it's THE trend, and Selma in Brooklyn is doing it 8 years later.

One thing though, this stuff ain't cheap; you can easily spend a few thousand dollars to get some of the specialty treatments done on just one item if you get it painted by a qualified craftsman. For that reason, I think that by the time the trend trickles down to the masses, most folks will either go with simple colors like red, blue, yellow, green, etc. on several appliances or do the specialty treatments to just one. Anyway, once the early adopters have their new kitchens finished, you'll be able to start seeing it in the magazines, and hopefully by then the paint makers will have figured out a way to get the fancy treatments at a more reasonable price.

So to those of you who are buying your Blue Stars and Aga ranges in a color, congratulate yourselves for being at the forefront of the style curve...

Comments (56)

• glennsfc
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can visualize 'custom painted' appliances...neat idea. However, I am quite pleased with the look of my basic black bottom mount Samsung refrigerator with the cool blue lights. It's mirror finish reflects light and is as close to a piece of kitchen 'art' as you can purchase off-the-shelf.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I agree that color is on the rise, but with companies as mainstream as heartland offering full line of appliances in a wide range of colors, I don't think its quite a 'super high end' trend. Good kitchen design stores are already filled with color from Heartland, Bluestar, Aga, Cornu...

But its not at all fair to compare it to the 'Brady Bunch' era, either. We aren't talking two or three dull secondary shades [avacado, harvest gold... what was that rusty brown called?] intended to 'blend' with any decor; but strong, saturated tones with a lot of personality.

I don't think it will be too long before companies besides Bluestar offer your choice of any of the RAL colors for a minimum upcharge. The magic of RAL is that IF your paint shop is state of the art, they can match it exactly, and a 5000 blue will always be a 5000 blue.

My guess is that people won't expect everything to be very matchy matchy, though: A brilliant red range is a great focal point. A matching refrigerator and dishwasher [compactor, toaster, mixer, coffee maker?] often only dilutes the impact.

Designers have been reccomending against matchi-ness for years, perhaps in part because getting a cohesive look without buying suites of furniture, appliances, etc. can be tough-- people going that route will be more likely to need a designer.

I did my current kitchen a few year ago, with stainless 40 inch range, DW, and backsplashes. It still looks good, but I'm kind of bored with it. Still like it, mind, and could be happy with it for many more years if I hadn't sold the house. But the new house will have a cooking zone focused on a blue range and red dragon granite island, with copper trim on the hood and elsewhere. Haven't decided on the DW for the cleaning end, but it may well be stainless. The zones will have different cabs, separated by the refrigerator, probably a panel model that complements but doesn't match either cab style.

• Related Discussions

What NOT to clean your stainless steel appliances with...

Q

Comments (15)
    Stainless steel is widely used now a days. It is said to be strong but surely not maintenance free. it needs to be kept dry and away from things that can cause it to rust. As the metal becomes old, it loses its original shine and starts looking dull. At such times we tend to use all sorts of methods to make it look new. At such times we should avoid scrubbing the metal because this might create scratches on it. Use of acid based cleaners should strictly be avoided. These cleaners may cause harmful reactions and spoil the look and quality of the metal. Use of organic cleaners could possibly be much safer for cleaning stainless steel appliances. Here is a link that might be useful: Some organic cleaners
    ...See More

I hate my stainless steel appliances!!!

Q

Comments (133)
    You GO, @Kathy Linn! I resolved early-on in our kitchen design to adopt a "no-stainless" policy (more for the looks than the upkeep), and so set out to find an antique, enameled stove (for cleanability in addition to looks) and even went with copper sinks to avoid SS. My first kitchen was all-white when we bought the house, and not really in a good way - laminate countertops and mdf cabinets in addition to white appliances. It was more work keeping the countertops white than the fridge (although the door handle did yellow with time) but I was done with white by the time we moved. For our build I settled on a 1929 Glenwood, restored at a shop outside Boston. It was a splurge but like yours (which is also very handsome) one we'll never need to replace. I'd like to think if consumers start throwing the SS junk back in appliance companies' (and designers') faces and going with restored antiques or otherwise reliable, easy-to-clean appliances with actual color options that we don't have to replace after 5-10 years, maybe they'll stop telling us what we should want and start producing quality again.
    ...See More

what cabinet color goes w black stainless steel appliances

Q

Comments (33)
    It's the "black glaze" part that I'd eliminate. Glazing like that has a tendency to make the cabinet just look shabby and old. There's enough going on with the gray stain on the wood, no need for glaze too. You also better make sure you will be comfortable with the variegations in the wood which will come to the surface with that wash. See on the sample pic you posted of the Snowbank door how the vertical, horizontal, and center panel pieces look so different from each other? Make sure you see it IRL and imagine that all over your kitchen. Some people--maybe you--might say "how charming, I love that". Others might not. Which one are you?
    ...See More

Black stainless steel appliances

Q

Comments (12)
    Bisque was around for almost 40 years, not the same as the avocado & harvest gold. Makers better get on the stick, some of us hate SS with a passion. WTF wants a SS appliance with black or gray sides. They do it to make money. White, black & bisque are the way to go. You'd have thought SS would have gone by now, LOL, but they just keep making them cheaper looking. My Saturday rant at this crap. Have a great day.
    ...See More
  • antss
    16 years ago

I disagree with you on this tony. Viking has offered colored apps for years. Their sales of the colored ones are lackluster at best. Ditto with Dacor's new colored ovens. These appeal to a very small segment of the market. It's nice ot have choices, but don't expect it to replace stainless appliances as a mass choice in the kitchen anytime soon.

• velodoug
    16 years ago

What about mix 'n match? We were after a traditional look in our little knotty pine galley kitchen. We chose a black range because black is a traditional color for ranges. We chose a white fridge because white is THE traditional color for fridges. And we chose a paneled DW because DW's haven't been around long enough to have a traditional color.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

Just recalling the squib on cerulean in The Devil Wears Prada . . .

• brunosonio
    16 years ago

As much as it makes a definite "statement" to have an aubergine fridge, I'm happy sticking with the basic trio of white, black, or SS for my appliances. I see it the other way around than some in here...the appliances are the backbone of the kitchen, the common theme that holds your kitchen together. They are also the workhorses of your kitchen. Do I want to look at a bright lime green stove for 15-20 years while I'm cooking? Or do I want to be able to switch out wall colors, area rugs, and other things when I'm bored? It's a lot easier to repaint a wall than it is to buy a new pro range every 5 years. Or getting a cheap $450 GE stove at HD and then spend 2K to have it painted orange.

I'd rather have a serious beautiful and functional kitchen...we're a serious cooking family. When I'm working hard on that reduction or wok cooking a huge Chinese meal, I'm not sneaking looks at my clever hot pink dishwasher, LOL. But that's just me...to each his own.

The problem with trends is that as soon as you embrace one, you become part of the big group think, and by the next year the new trend comes along.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

Just as plain white appliances have remained timeless -- if perhaps not very exciting, stainless steel is here to stay. Commercial kitchens will always stay with it for hygienic and practical reasons. It just stands to reason that home cooks will continue to want to emulate the look.

Long after "red hot chili pepper" and "aubergine" have gone the way of "avocado" and "harvest gold", stainless steel and classic white will remain timelss choices -- even if not cutting-edge fashionable.

Anyone choosing stainless steel need not worry that their appliances will look so "2000-ish" in the year 2015. On the other hand, what will people be thinking about red or purple appliances in a very few years?

• somethingsilk
    16 years ago

I think the trend will become custom panel, the less is more look. Its expensive, but to hide as many appliances as you can will make the kitchen look more like an extension of a living area. Just my two cents.

• steve_o
    16 years ago

Did someone say Hello Kitty microwave oven?

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

I've recently seen copper colored refrigerators in magazine ads. I clearly remember my parents getting one when I was young. I don't think it lasted all that long because by the time I was in junior HS we'd bought an avocado side-by-side. I thought it was the coolest thing ever!! I'm currently living with a kitchen that has a matching avocado stovetop, wall oven, and sink. All very 60s. They don't seem so cool to us now, but they've been going strong for more than 30 years.

• pasigal
    16 years ago

Don't know if anything will "replace" SS, as it's now one of the "Big 3" along with, well, white and black. But i do know that eventually it WILL look dated. Already, cherry cabs/black marble/SS appliances looks very 2000s.

I do think, however, that color will be the next trend, although I'd say the current hot look is custom paneled fridges and dw's, with a high-end range rather than SS all over. Personally I hate SS fridges and dw's; it works on ranges b/c the knobs/glass/burners break up all that metal. You might see a return to white, but in richer looking materials, ie heavier gauge steel, squarer lines.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

An interesting new kitchen in the latest HOME magazine was with stainless steel cabinets and white appliances. The designer specifically stated he wanted to do something modern but different than the usual SS appliances.

• plllog
    16 years ago

This thread is a HOOT! Thanks for bumping it up.

A lowrider oven would definitely tempt me to buy a range, especially if it also rose on air shocks :)

My mother did her custom kitchen in 1965. People wander in all the time and say, "Oooh, I love your stainless steel appliances." And in 40 years her kitchen has never looked dated.

• dalerb66
    16 years ago

Besides the Dacor Preference wall ovens that come in six different colors (Dacor Preference) there is also the new Oiled Bronze line from Jenn-Air (Oiled Bronze).

• GeddesHouse
    16 years ago

Fascinating topic! I suspect before long more people will reject the "matching kitchen appliances" marketing convention (like "bedroom suites" & "cookware sets") in lieu of more personalized, functionally selective, aesthetically expressive choices. But then I predicted 30 years ago the trend would turn away from bigger-and-bigger houses back to more human-scale, easier-to-maintain, easier-on-the-pocketbook houses, at least by the time boomers got closer to retirement and didn't ostensibly "need" all that space for kid raising. After all, spending the afternoon in the local bookstore/coffee shop is a whole lot more fun than cleaning 4 bathrooms and vacuuming 3500 sq.ft., and spending a week in Italy a whole lot more enriching than heating a spare 2000 sq. ft. in winter. Yet all these decades later, ever-bigger McMansions are still dominating new construction and invading old neighborhoods. Fortunately, however, partly because of increased sensitivity to environmental concerns, there's renewed interest in decreasing individual footprints and searching for quality of life in lieu of super-sized consumerism. It's heartening to see interest waxing in simpler lifestyles and real food and for resources like the "Smaller Homes" forum here. But I digress....

I agree that white, black, and stainless appliances are so basic they're probably timeless. But colors are delightful and need not look dated if done with style rather than in accordance with cookie-cutter fashion dictates. And I see no reason why colors & finishes can't be mixed & matched, as long as it's done with a good eye for design. It all depends on what you're after. I think people (hopefully soon) will start thinking of kitchens as living spaces rather than extensions of appliance/cabinet showrooms, and increasingly start rejecting conventional assumptions and demanding more innovative options. What kind of "feel" do you want? Are you into gourmet cooking and want to emulate an intensive restaurant "line chef" kitchen? Then a mix of industrial-style stainless appliances fits the bill, probably with cabinets and flooring consistent with the look, including stainless pot racks. Are you into cottage homey and yearn for bookshelves and an overstuffed chair in the kitchen for sipping tea while planning the next meal or gardening adventure? Then a colorful Aga fits perfectly, complimented with lots of wood and copper and with other appliances hidden (in cabinets or with wood panels) or at least understated as much as possible to render them as invisible as possible (like black and stainless can do if handled right). Are you into Jetsons modern? Then sleek stainless and/or bright colors, celebrated as technological achievements and complimented with lots of chrome & glass (including glass cabinet doors) and pop-away thingies (like retractable vents) are just the ticket. Want a kitchen simpatico with the idea of a modern art gallery? Then one or more dazzling special-finish appliances coupled with, say, sleek ebony or ivory-colored cabinets, maybe something whimsically three-dimensional, and out-of-the-ordinary floor, wall, window, ceiling, and/or lighting treatments, might be the perfect counterpoint to artwork displayed in the next room. Want to recreate a period-consistent kitchen in your 1950s or 1890s house? Check out reproduction "statement" appliances from folks like Elmira Stoveworks and be sensitive with regard to decisions about other appliances (e.g., in 1950 refrigerators were white, in 1890 ice boxes were oak with brass hardware), cabinets and their location, sinks & counters, floor surfaces, etc. And so on.

Personally I think granite countertops have become trite too, but predict they'll never go out of fashion because they're so right for so many applications. I predict stainless will eventually be regarded a timeless countertop choice that transcends period and style.

Here is a link that might be useful: I suspect this little stainless stove ain't gunna look dated in its setting anytime soon, although an Aga Companion would look awesome in its place IMHO

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

I really love threads like this. No facts, just Ouija boards.

I had an awful day to day (unusual) so tony, thanks for the giggle.

First of all, aubergine is about a year old. It was shown on the runway 2 years ago. Elle Decor had it as a wall coer months ago. It was in Crate & Barrel displays last year. Why it's new now is a mystery to me but sometimes it depends on where it's new. Where I live, they've moved on to emerald green. Lavender is the new neutral.

Second, a statement like "red goes with everything" is a hoot. It's a cliche in dining rooms already. Don't believe me? Just spend some time looking at pix on the Home Decorating forum. They've had red so long there they're looking for something else. Black dining rooms are currently big -- and black covers the red really well. I can count the red stoves (and they're usually burgundy) that I've seen in the past 5 years on one hand. It's a very strong color and most people aren't very brave when it comes to $3000-8000 investments.

Which brings me to the other funny stuff in the kitchen. Painting stainless steel? To which nothing adheres very well and into which nothing is absorbed. A bit like painting saran wrap. Hey, knock yourself out. Me, I'll buy factory painted or plain old dowdy stainless will do just fine.

As for airbrushing, we see that a lot on fingernails here. Still, they are managing to sell quite a bit of clear nail polish.

Meanwhile, whatever they're doing on the left coast doesn't involve much publishing. So as long as BH&G -- which is setting as well as following the trends -- continue to show white suburban kitchens with corbels and turned legs on islands, neutral stone tile backsplashes or (for excitement) a glass backsplash, that's what is creating the taste. All that's coming from Des Moines. Yessirree.

So thanks for the chuckle that brightened my day. The only thing better would be a link to a UTube vid of someone actually try to airbrush a ss dishwasher.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Well, Wikihow does have some tips on painting stainless :) And the lowrider shops paint steel all the time :) I'm still hooked on the idea of a range with pinstripes, flames and afterburners :D

But seriously, the people who are buying high end ranges like Lacanche, Bluestar, and yes, Aga, have wonderful palettes to choose from. Some are getting basic black or red or stainless, but others are getting aubergine, ocher, or turquoise. And navy, russet, and moss for the less daring. So color may be the next thing (at least out of WLA), but I don't think it'll be the harvest golds of the past, but choose your own color type. After all if you don't like the paints offered by some high end cars you can get your swatch matched too!

• ssampath
    16 years ago

How long does a look last - we just finished our cherry/dark granite/SS kitchen and pasigal above says it is so 2000s! Our kitchen had lime green appliances and tile counter tops with think grout when we bought the house - I think the kitchen is from the 70s.

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

My last kitchen was woodpaneled, chery, and ubatuba. I did it almost 10 years ago and it looks brand new, My new kitchen is chery stainless and lighteR granite just to change things up. When spending nearly 6 figures on a kitchen I highLy recoment the classic finishes. Stainless cherry and classic granite may not look CUTTING edge but you would have a hard time throwing a date on these kitchens. For my money ill take timeless over trendy any day. off coarse if you like doing a complete remodel every 7 - 8 years than I would definitely go withcolors how about neon blue? ssampath how silly you were to go with cherry/dark granite/SS! You fool, your house is now dated and unmarketable, who would ever want to buy a house with a CHERRY KITCHEN lol!!!!!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

BBC's 'Changing Rooms' was the first and best of the decorating shows. Home Depot and Lowes owes them more than we'll ever know.

But by the end of their run, they were 'fixing' the kinds of designs they'd pioneered at the start-- 8 years after painting a beige room red, they'd come back and paint it beige again.

And both times, seemed like an improvement. We humans are a fickle lot.

So, while white, black and stainless will always be out there, they will also be in constant rotation as to which is an 'Ahh!', an 'Oh?' or a 'Eeew!'

My Ouja board says that the wheel is laid out white-stainless-black-white, meaning next turn is black.

Black's turn lasts for what remains of the white cab cycle and stays for the blonde woods ['Still light but not so sterile, timeless' will be the mantra].

White appliances take over as the cabs go mid-tone wood [mantra: 'finally, a little warmth and richness, timeless'].

Then, stainless comes back as cabs get dark again [mantra: 'warm, but dramatic, timeless'], making white aps too contrast-y.

After that, the cabinetry goes back to white ['drama without darkness, timeless' goes the mantra], and stainless will seem a little... overdone.

Thankfully, not all of us will feel compeled to ride the wheel with every turn. We'll come on forums like this to ask where we can find a good refrigerator that goes with our cabs, and we'll be told 'that' color is sooo last decade.

But most people doing a kitchen will use what ever is at the top of the cycle at the moment, and will tell you that this is the one look they've always really and truely loved, and it has nothing to do with trends. Those other times were just... decorating. Didn't mean a thing, and besides, they'll never do it again.

They'll mean it, and beleive it, and it will be true... till the wheel turns again.

• quasifish
    16 years ago

My DH has said for the past couple of years that "stainless is the new avocado." I tend to agree with him that it's kind of been overdone, and totally agree with him that a lot of what is out there being sold as stainless to the masses is just cheapo. A quality stainless appliance should stand the test of time a little better than the low end "stainless" stuff- that just looks like cheap knock-offs. Most of my friends who have stainless appliances aren't able to (or simply don't) keep them fingerprint and smudge free and they look terrible most of the time.

I'm a classic white appliance girl. Look back through the ages and white never goes out of style. Boring? Sure, but functional and style can help overcome the color limitation. One of the main reasons we went white in our kitchen though was that it is a very small kitchen and stainless would just be too much for something that small. The white appliances make the tiny kitchen look a little lighter and more open. To me stainless is a trademark of a large gourmet kitchen- which I, and most of my friends, do not have.

I do have to admit to feeling a fondness for some red washing machines I've seen lately. I think one would look great in my black and white tiled laundry room. Alas my ancient Kenmore refuses to die...

• villandry
    16 years ago

Stainless will be around for a good long time...I hate the fingerprints though.

Colors on refrigerators..I don't think so but, those SMEG's are pretty cute.

Blue and yellow LaCornue's are timeless. Oil rubbed bronze, not so much.

And the worst kitchen idea....tiled countertops = cleaning nightmare.

• plllog
    16 years ago

LOL! Villandry, I feel the same way about stone. Tile=low maintenance, easy to clean. Stone=always worried. :)

Oruboris, I so agree with you, especially now that stainless is a color rather than a finish :)

'Course on the kitchen-with-no-vent I kind of assumed that I'd have to put in a stainless hood (which would look awful) and found out that powder coated was actually cheaper (and I knew I'd be ripping it out in a few years anyway). The cooktop, DW and oven, spread through the room are black, the fridge and freezer (on separate walls) which I brought with me are white, and the tile is white with yellow trim. I got a bright red hood to go with the huge poppy I painted on the adjacent blank wall, and everyone who comes in LOVES the red hood!

Then there's the new kitchen where I'll have ovens in whatever finish they come in, because that's the way they come and I'm buying for function, and a white/black/stainless cooktop because that's the way they come. If there were some way to get fabulous colors, I would :)

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

If you plan on living in your house forever or at least until your next remodel, get what you want. But if you plan on selling your house colors on apppliances can turn off many potential buyers. It is rare that stainless will turn off many buyers. I certainly remember the olive greens and the yellows of the late 50's and early 60's which later turned off many potential purchasers. Stainless goes with any color scheme.

I admit I was quite tempted to buy the Jenn-Air black glass or white glass refrigerators. Now blackand white aren't likely to be as much of a turn-off as blue, fire engine red, etc.

Greg

• mls99
    16 years ago

I'm at the opposite budget end from the Hollywood starlets who kicked off this thread with their colored appliances, but I am remodeling my kitchen with IKEA blue cabinets and SS appliances. Unfortunately, IKEA is phasing out their blue cabinets next year, as the US likes only the wood look.

• nochowfun_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Oh my. I'm doing a kitchen in a 1926 home--stone counters will be White Spring or Sienna Bordeaux--Cabinets maple, kitchen fairly small, and I don't intend to ever remodel anything ever again.I like the "no maintenance issues" of white and the way they'll just sort of blend in with the white field of the stone but I'm afraid white appliances look hokey now. But in 10 years? 12 years? What do you think?

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

Dreaming of The HEARTLAND Refrigerator in BLUE, White or any of their beautiful colors! And the same for the gorgeous AGA Frig. - might look wonderful in our new Kitchen with our Vintage Steel Cabinets! Like to find an EUC Heartland or AGA!
    Do you have one of these Beauties and what color did you choose for Refrigerator? Really like to See your pictures! Do you think these Refrigerators are functional and reliable? One of these will actually fit into our Vintage Kitchen space! Thank you for Sharing you Ideas for our new, Vintage Kitchen, roseofblue

• antss
    13 years ago

in the near future - nothing!

• sayde
    13 years ago

Stainless will always be mainstream. What changes are riffs on the basic design -- the doors get more squared and out to the edge, the knobs change from black to stainless, the shape of the handle morphs subtly. Manufacturing figures out some way to make it less expensively and Marketing "features" it.

• chopperace
    13 years ago

This tread is over 3 years old...it looks like nothing is going to replace SS

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

I didn't know you could even post on a thread from 2007. I thought Gardenweb closed them out or something.
    Anyway, ditto to what Chopperace wrote. Also, check out the old Julia Child shows. She was using stainless appliances in the '70's. It hasn't gone out of style since, and isn't going to in the future.

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

Oh, but I do wish this SS trend would end! I can't even look at an appliance without it being SS. Doesn't matter what store I go to - Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, local appliance store . . .

Seriously, some of us just want something different than SS and can't even see what that looks like.

• antss
    13 years ago

muffet - there are a few firms that offer appliances other than the same old troika of SS, Black and White.

Viking and Dacor have color programs for their ovens, dishwashers and fridges, Blue Star has colors too. SubZero has a few unique finishes in their line also.

Then, there is always the fully integrated route in which you can put any kind of panel you want on a fridge or dishwasher.

Lots o choices! Fact is, not a large segment of the buying public wants these items or more companies would offer them and homes would be full of rainbow kitchens and we'd be having a different conversation: "why can't appliances match better?"

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

I enjoyed reading the original post, so I'm glad it didn't get dumped. I do like those bold colors and think an big blue Bertazzoni would be an awesome focal point in a kitchen.

But no, SS will always be king.

antss -- LOL!

• neondanger
    13 years ago

If your looking for colored or design panels you should check out appliance art. They have panels that attach over the front of your current dishwasher and other appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.applianceart.com

• amcook
    13 years ago

I have watched this thread go up and down and never clicked until now just out of curiosity. I think just saying "colors" is a bit of a cop out. I think today, black and gloss is pretty notable. White is a bit of a non-starter since we just got past the days of shiny white microwaves and such. Red is popular but contrary to stated fact in this thread, there are still some that would argue it doesn't go with their floors or rug. :)

I would have to go with copper as the next major trend. It's been out of the market for many decades which makes it a prime candidate for coming back. Many people are still recovering from the avocado phase which to many translates to painted. I don't know how many times I've heard, "I'd love a red (or some color) range but I'm afraid it's going to date my kitchen like avocado did."

• iinsic
    13 years ago

I'm going to suggest a something that is a little more out of the box than just "colors". With tech progressing faster than you can blink, I envision that in the not to distant future, LCD panels with the ability to either load or stream photos, television, 'puter, etc will grace the surfaces of appliances. Advertisers will kill for this, and I don't think it would too difficult to incorporate in appliances, cabinet fronts, etc. The small TV's on the front of some fridge's is just the start, I fear.

• antss
    13 years ago

Copper has been in the masse market for about a decade now and has no real penetration. Jenn Air has had a full line up for a while and Viking and or Dacor has offered copper accents for many years all to luke warm sale at best.

It's nice to have the choice though.

• castironcook2
    13 years ago

Actually, I thought solarpowered was ahead of the trend with "wasy." Sort of a portmanteau for "way easy." I like it already.

• sconway11324
    13 years ago

Well, I am trying to decide between white and stainless steel. My double oven just died (GE profile, 14 years old) and given the age of my other appliances (also 14 years old) it seems appropriate to upgrade all appliances.

My problem is that I hate fingerprints. I also hate dents. I cook all day long but my kitchen has to be super clean and I don't think I can do this with SS.

Can someone please help me? Is it true that SS can be buffed out if scratched? If so, how can I tell if I am buying the real SS?

Currently, I am looking at the following in white -- but white limits my choices tremendously:

36" Cooktop - BlueStar, Viking (is Viking still reliable?), or Kitchen Aid
    Double Convection Oven - Kitchen Aid (I keep reading about all KA problems and I am having 2nd thoughts, should I up my budget and get TurboChef? Anything in between worth considering?)
    Dishwasher - Kitchen Aid or Miele
    Microwave oven - will look for one only if I decide to go with SS -- current white GE profile works well and still looks new)
    Refrigerator - have not looked into it yet but I cannot stand fingerprints. Do want a 72"H and a bit less deep than the one that I have which is 26.6cu ft GE profile, because I want a more 'flush' look.

So SS experts, anyway I can modernize to SS and not have to suffer cleaning or looking at scratches (I am careful but my children are not so much)? Or should I continue with white and be limited in high-end choices?

I really would like to stay within a $10-15k budget for appliances so I am trying to get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Sconway,

You should really start your own thread not bring back this zombie that is only tangetially related to your question.

• steve_o
    13 years ago

deeagaux, in fairness to Sconway, this thread was revived (somewhat OT) just a few months before (s)he posted. I agree it's best to start a new thread, but I remember the old days of GW when newbies were admonished for starting new threads because new threads bumped valuable old threads off the face of the earth. :-o

• Joseph1975
    13 years ago

Try Gaggennau, stainless wall ovens with glass over top of the stainless. Knobs are sand blasted stainless and can take scrubbing.

They keep trying colors, they get a few suckers. Stick with white and stainless, and only if you HAVE TO.

People will keep buying these, try to sell their house and here the inevitable, "Well, add 10K for new appliances." Go with wall to wall carpetting that is also making a comeback.

• audielee
    13 years ago

In a new home I will have freestanding 30"all refrigerator and 30" all freezer, in the color taupe, by Viking. Stunning color, cool design, interior not up to par with Miele, SZ but love the color so much I will end up sacrificing modern technology interior. Will not do matching range.... the frig/ freeze become more sculptural in nature not built in.
    Is there anybody who likes their 2010 Viking fridge? Not the older ones please.

• liyalater
    13 years ago

If anything replaces stainless steel I think it will be greater appliance customization. Meaning customers will want to be able to choose the colors of their appliances to match the design feel they are going for, especially at the higher end of the spectrum.

• segesta
    13 years ago

Nice to see this interesting thread revived.

I'm a fan of Snaidero, the Italian kitchen design company, and their recent designs show pretty much everything (except wall ovens) as being covered by panels of the client's choosing.

So I guess stainless is being replaced by "whatever the owner wants", the goal being a relatively consistent and seamless appearance to the kitchen.

• advisor
    13 years ago

I'm not sure that I can predict what comes next, but if you follow the money you will find out.
    Once stainless steel was available on Frigidaire Gallery and KitchenAid Architect series, and could be had by the riff raff, the rich started looking for something else to differentiate themselves from us mouth breathers.
    I don't think colors alone are what's next, but the votes aren't all in. I've been looking at these segments as possibles:

Euro-tech: black glass with stainless trim. Low profile
    Euro-monstrosity: AGA, and the French Ranges
    Antique Americana: Rebuilt oldies but goodies

It doesn't have to make sense......it just has to be different from what you/we have.

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceAdvisor.com

• mojavean
    13 years ago

I predict that appliance finishes will become the next great province of corporate brand exposure. It will start small, a little "Ben and Jerry's" logo near the freezer handle, perhaps. Or a "Jimmy Dean" etched into the meat drawer.

Then it will grow. Soon, our appliances will be festooned with advertising thicker than a NASCAR Champion's fender. There will emerge interesting and profitable cross marketing opportunities as pharmaceutical companies discover how closely our desire to feed ourselves is coupled to our desire for sex. Then every time we reach for a slice of cheese and a Pepsi we'll hear the "Viva Viagra" chorus or the annoying jangles of the "Cialis Daily" bathtub melody reminding us to take our pills.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

dreaming, i see anything flat, like a 3M product, as the next new thing used to cover appliances. Flat could be active electronically and optically.

The rim around induction cooktops could be replaced with a rim of "flat". This would help make it easier to countersink it into a cutout in the countertop.

A rim of flat could be added onto sinks, also countersunk, and the faucet controls could be integrated inside the silicone. Touch your rim here and there to get the changes you want.

hth

• samsthumb
    13 years ago

I believe the colors of 60s were Harvest Gold, Avocado, and Coppertone. I remember to buy one of the colors were more expensive that white. It amused me when white was THE color shortly after and it became more expensive. Got to love the trends. I personally like a combination of types but have yet to buy that red oven.