SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Summerfield (and others) lost a doorway/added a porch

lavender_lass
11 years ago

Yes, another porch! I think I will go down as the most 'porch happy' person ever, on GW :)

The sun porch/greenhouse is so perfect for plants and a sunny spot in the winter...but too small for summer dining. We're also thinking about having the outside access on the front, to eliminate some of the stairs. With the lilacs on the side and well in back...the sun porch can't get any bigger. So, we decided to add a screened porch (screens on two sides) behind the kitchen.

To help with roof lines and keep the steps somewhat covered...we're thinking about having steps down from the kitchen and the porch even with the rest of the outside deck/patio area. No steps between dining and BBQ or barn kitties lying in wait to trip us, as we go outside. They do that, especially when it's time for them to eat! LOL

Also, the 'long hall' effect from the kitchen to utility room was feeling to 'manufactured home' for the farmhouse. (I say this, because we live in a manufactured home now...with a 40' open area.) So, I took out the doorway between the kitchen and hall/living room and turned the kitchen work area 90 degrees. This lines up the island better with the front window and sink windows.

Since parking is on the left/front of the house, we can enter through the front door with groceries...or drop off kitty litter, laundry supplies, long term freezer storage through the mudroom. The freezer is a bit far from the kitchen, but our only other alternative would be the basement! Been there/done that...much rather have everything on one level.

Overall plan...
{{gwi:1461257}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Close up of kitchen...
{{gwi:1461258}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

What do you think? We really want the two main living areas a bit separated...for noise control and to have two groups talking during larger family gatherings. With one big space now, it gets a bit crazy with more than five or six people! Thanks for taking a look :)

Comments (14)