Houzz Logo Print
snolady

Valentines ideas

snolady
16 years ago

Comments (32)

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Snolady, Thanks for sharing these sites with us. I love the little heart shaped buffet markers. They could be used as place card holders also. I sure would like to hear if anyone finds any for sale like that.

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Thanks for the links, they're useful references for my Valentine site!
    However, I realize that I have a lot to learn about Holidays celebrations: here in Belgium, Valentine's day is only for couples... not for singles ;-)

• Related Discussions

Hot Pink Poinsettias for Valentine's Day

Q

Comments (39)
    I put them in the ground yesterday in a nice shady location. They will almost certainly get knocked back next winter by the first frost or freeze, but I hope to get some bright pink color out of them before they do. Then it will be interesting to see if they come back, if at all, or even bigger and stronger in following years as the roots get established. Carol in Jax
    ...See More

Not Your Traditional Valentine Table

Q

Comments (12)
    Nana, so glad you like thinking outside the box. I'm so glad you are here with us! This is one of the reasons I enjoy it here. We can do what ever we want and someone always likes the new idea. Both cupids were fun finds and that's the way it should be.LOL Jane, the tc is in great shape if it wasn't for a few stains that I covered up. The lady that won it was very distinct and I'm sure so was everything she owned. Glad you liked the colors on this table. It's fun to have so many different colored stems to use now. LMD, so nice to have you here posting with us. I loved Jeanne's cupid with hands and the one I found it's as nice but pretty cute. Thanks for your comments on this table. Jeanne, I haven't had this tc for to many years but glad to have it. I could see this tc used on a little round table on the porch or garden too if it wasn't for our kitty. He would probably jump up on it with one of his furry friends and that would be nasty.LOL I did try that arrangement on the Singer cabinet but it didn't look right. After reading this I moved the SC over and itplaced it back on there. Thanks, don't know if I would of tried it again. Your cherub in the hands is beautiful and a more expensive piece but the one I found it still cute. I loved that cp when I found it and will enjoy using it more. The innovating ideas are wonderful and it's ok to be a copycat!!! I would of never tried ts w/o all of this. Candy, I like the way you think! I will probably try a different color next year.LOL Luvs, I keep telling DGD she is going to get all my ts items. She just smiles. I tried to get her to make something while she was here this weekend but no interest. I asked how she liked my table cuz she hadn't commented and she just said it's ok. All she wanted to do is play and I learned all her new dance moves. It was so fun but my butt is dragging tonight. Thanks everyone for all your comments. It's Valentines Day tomorrow so I will have to think of another ts to set. I will take some pictures of the pitcher and punch bowl and post later. Happy Valentines Day All. Punk
    ...See More

~ Valentine Dominoes Magnets ~

Q

Comments (10)
    danaoh...you mean like a 12-blank and a 3-blank...and a 6 and 9? I know I wouldn't have a 12...because the old ones came from a double 9 set I think. I have one full set of those and another one I let the kids play with...Then I have a set that looks like the wood one but I believe they are a composit of some sort. But they are also only a double 5 or 9 If I have a 3,6, and 9 you could sure have them...but I don't know what to tell you about the 12. Try freecycle to see if anyone has any old ones they give away. patti
    ...See More

kudzu

Q

Comments (7)
    I found a craft on AllFreeCrafts, and made one. It's quick,easy and useful and pretty. I'm still looking for ideas :D Link and the one I made on my blog. This is the heart shaped one, and I also made a round one, equally pretty. All You need are the paper doilies, tissue or cotton balls to spray the scent on, glue, ribbon, and small flowers and trims. I used what I already had on hand, lol. Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog
    ...See More
  • Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Prosperity, I think Valentine's is same everywhere...a day for couples. But what the heck, one can DECORATE for any reason, or NO reason! Just look at the lead-in to this forum reminding us about Ground Hog coming up. LOL.
    (now how do I get a ground hog on my stacked plates???)

hugs, Karen

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Karen, If anyone could get a ground hog on stacked plates someone on this forum could! LOL

I guess Valentine's is considered a "couples" holiday, but for me growing up and my children it's been a "family" holiday also. When they were little there were always Valentine parties at school with little cards and goodies to eat and at home we have always had a special dinner, either at home or out, along with everyone getting pretty cards and boxes of candy and usually a piece of jewelry, even if it's costume.

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Karen, well, we learn the US traditions through movies and TV series and I often saw that on Valentine's, Americans send cards to their family members, friends, etc. which is the reason why I thought that Valentine's Day is different in your country than in mine.

For instance, if you're single in some European countries, you have to stay at home on February 14th because restaurants are often overbooked by couples.

This is really "couples" oriented and people look at you as if you were ET the extra-terrestrial if you walk alone in the streets or eat with your best friends in a restaurant on February 14th.

I myself have had the experience as my birthday is on February 15th... imagine the problems I can have if Valentine's is celebrated on a Saturday and if I celebrate my birthday with my best friends the very same day ;-))))

I find it a bit "scary" since love is not only "sex" and "couple" related but can be shared by everyone.

I have a lot to learn and that is why I'm happy to visit the forum ;-)

You know, in Belgium if your Christmas or New Year decorations remain after January 15th, people laugh at your face.

A colleague of mine decorates for Easter, she is 41 and has no children but she thinks that Easter is an opportunity to have fun and Easter decorations are so fresh and lovely... poeple don't understand why she decorates her house and often criticize her. That's the way our old continent goes ;-)

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Prosp, I had never actually decorated for any holidays other than Xmas till I found this Forum last Feb. And those darn stacked plates reeled me right in and suddenly I was doing them for Valentines, St Pat's, Easter, etc. Then I started buying other decorations for all these smaller holidays just because it was fun and sharing here was the best part. Right now I'm trying to figure what to do with my stacked plates for the next month, LOL. Xmas is stored and Valentine's too far away. Can't let them sit empty tho.
    LOL.
    I hope your colleague doesn't let others ruin her delight in decorating. I don't know anyone in 'real life' that does holiday decorating either, so I can understand people's reactions. Thank goodness for this place!!!!

hugs, Karen

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Well, Karen, I understand very well how you feel about having found this forum... I myself am more than happy to read all these topics.

And what makes me more happy is that I shared lots of things I read and learned here with my family and some friends and they really enjoyed!

Friday, I'm gonna shopping with my best friend and will probably look for Valentine's Day decorations even if it's a bit early to think about it. I'll let the decorations in their bag, turning around it, excited on having the opportunity to decorate the rooms and/or the table.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Prosperity,
    I spent 15 years single with kids...Valentine's was a special family day, and we always had a special meal with a fancy table. Now it is a special meal with my DH AND whomever else in the family wants to come and eat....some years it is just DH and I and some years we have a house full!!
    Last year it was just the two of us, and I had been taking lessons from this group. I set the table so pretty since I had learned a lot....DH was surprised and very pleased.
    Just the other day he asked if "my invisible friends" had helped me with the Christmas table, and if they were going to make us have a pretty Valentine table?? I am still smiling.....guys can notice and ask about the craziest things!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Jay, I remember that, you pulled the table up in front of the fire and had a nice dinner, and dh was surprised.

I also remember Karen's first post on stacked plates. They arrived broken, but she plugged on!

I have to be honest, I always decorated for all the holidays, I guess it was the school teacher in me. My friends would be amazed that I had decorations for all the holidays! I enjoyed doing the table up in a special way for each holiday. That is why I have the collection of "cwap" that I have...many years of..oh that would be good for this or that! But sharing what I always did with the people here was so much fun, and being encouraged rather than thinking I must be strange to do this!!

I agree with Sandi, Valentine's is for everyone..love interest as well as family members. While I still taught we always had some kind of Valentine celebration, a fun way to brighten the cold days of February here in the East! The kids always enjoyed it. I am already thinking of what I will do in the way of entertaining to celebrate, like I said, long winters here!

I know the stores have Val out already...I am not there yet, but in a few weeks I will be on the look out for some goodies. I already have my red glass plates from the dollar store, and I will work from there.

So I hope many of you will stick around and come up with some pretty tables. I know Sandi and Luvs and Judith will, they did last year too! And even those who don't do a table join in the fun with their posts....

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I just can't believe how "weak" I've become to holiday displays at stores since finding this forum! I ran down to Big Lots for a couple of storage containers tonight and ended up buying two Valentine's signs! Can you believe it? I'm in the middle of putting Christmas decos away and I buy something for Valentines!!!!! It's a disease I tell ya! ;o) Luvs

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

You nailed it, Luvs. I don't recognize myself anymore after almost a year here. I'm a changed woman! LOL

hugs, Karen

• yachter123
    16 years ago

Prosperity, even if you just do a small vignette for V day, like on a buffet or small table, it will give you pleasure to see it & enjoy it.

I have to admit, I'm addicted to decorating for everything since I found this site also!!! I was looking at V decorations today at the store & Easter ones! Yep, they are out already too.

Some table decor I do, no one sees except for me & maybe one son & grandson, but I enjoy changing them out for each season & holiday now!

Now, you have to post pictures of your Valentine decor, promise???

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

I've always decorated for every holiday also. My DS loved it when he was younger, but now he is just resigned to dragging decos out of storage for me. LOL It is a lot more fun since I can share pics with everyone here.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I need to borrow a teeny drop of your memory!!! You are amazing!!

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

I just come back from shopping: sales have started in Belgium yesterday.

There were so many people in the stores that I finally only bought some clothes and a Leonidas chocolate pack ;-)

Fortunately, my friend told me that she wants to have a new shopping day in the near future and before the end of sales. Eh eh... I will then be able to buy some Valentines items.

Yachter, Since I'm already thinking of my V decorations, I also think about the V dinner I'll prepare for... my son and I and probably some friends as my birthday is on V's very next day. I'll post some pics as soon as I'll decorate.

Luvs, I also am convinced that it's a disease: compulsive trouble, hahahaha.

Thanks to our "invisible friends" from this forum, as Jaybird's hubby said, lol.

• snolady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sandi
    I saw those heart buffet markers at WalMart in their Valentine aisle.
    snolady

• yachter123
    16 years ago

prosperity, I checked my stash downstairs & realized I didn't buy any V decorations last year, not even after the holiday sales! I am lost, I have nothing to decoarte with.

I think it was just around V day that I found this forum & was trying to get into the tablescapes & I don't know why, but I didn't go out & purchase a thing!

I know I did go big on Easter, but why I didn't get anything for V day is beyond me! I thought I did! Must be OLD AGE creeping up on me!

I did see wine glasses decorated with red hearts at yard sales last summer & passed on them, thinking where in the world will I store more glasses. Now I wish I had bought them!!!

I will have to just enjoy everyone else's pretty pictures this year!

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Hoooooo Yachter, I thought you could count on to give me ideas :-(

But if I ever find nothing special to decorate the home on V day (in Belgium, there are very few decorations for Valentines), I can nonetheless put red, pink and white balloons and ribbons in the house, it will give my house a festive look.

However, I hope to find at least some garlands, that would be something our stores sell.

Maybe they also will sell Valentines party sets and I'll buy one. That way, I'll have some V decos ;-)

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

Well I finally got to Micheals to check on what they had left in Christmas and ended up with a bunch of Valentine stuff. They actually have really cute heart ornaments so I got two packages, some garland, some sparkley heart picks and some red and pink crystals to make some dangely ornaments. At the dollar store I got red and white rose bunches so I am set to do a Valentine tree. I have never done this before and I blame this forum :D - ain't it funnnnnn.......

Lynne

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

You Go, Lynne!!! WoooHoooo.
    Yach, I did same as you for finding this forum last Feb. I did go get a few Val things as I'd gotten the stacked plates. But today I found the little box...LITTLE shoebox...they were in. I sure didn't get much, but know I went nuts at Easter. LOL.
    Guess I need to check out Michaels, coupons in today's paper and I have a gift card (Xmas present).

Prosp, you're going to do fine at getting some red stuff together to celebrate it too. This will be fun!

hugs, Karen

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

I just did my mantle and diningroom mirror up with Valentines goodies, and it's a delight to see, since there's a void when the Christmas decorations come down. If I were to wait until I actually had a date for Valentine's Day, I'd still be waiting!-- so I say why not enjoy the holiday anyway.

I also decorate for Easter, just because it makes me happy. I hope there will never be an age limit or other qualifications needed to have fun surrounding yourself with pretty decorations.

If people wish to criticize, that's certainly their option, but the satisfaction they get from it can't be more than I'd get out of my little decorating.

--Jenn

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

Couldn't agree with you more Jenn - I have a sister whom I love dearly but she is always talking about all my 'stuff' and rolls her eyes when I get more - her house is pretty much devoid of anything other than Christmas. She likes it that way so that is OK. I like to be surrounded by pretty things and 'stuff' that makes me smile. I don't do it for anyone else other than me and my husband and thanks goodness he enjoys it too. I even have an Easter village and a fall harvest village along with my Christmas village. Life is meant to enjoy.....

Lynne

• prosperity66
    16 years ago

Lynne, do you really have an Easter village? Maybe you could upload some pics of your village as my passion - in holidays - are these villages...

I bought some little houses in England: a toy store, a post office, a furniture store, etc. when you open the house you can see the rooms and the items. It's nice!

But I didn't know that Easter villages exist.

• lynnencfan
    16 years ago

Prosperity - I have a small one - part of it I painted myself and then have added pieces to it as I find them in stores. I will be happy to post pictures when I set it up around the end of February since Easter is so early this year....

Lynne

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Lynne, that sounds really cute. I didn't know there was an Easter Village! And a Fall one sounds wonderful too, I've seen pix of some of them and think they are so pretty.
    I'm just afraid to start buying more, LOL. If I could control it to a SMALL scene, that would be ok. But.....

hugs, Karen

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Snolady, I thought I had checked this post, but obviously not. Thank you for the heads up on the buffet markers at Walmart. I've been to 2 different Walmarts since you posted and didn't even look at Valentine decos, but I will go tomorrow again for sure.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

What a fun thread this has turned into. Love hearing everyone's comments (and concern) about lack of decorations for Valentines--makes me know I am not alone. LOL

I hardly had any before, but did pick up a few things last year and even cut out and painted wooden "heart cookies". I've also been buying cherub items all year when I've found cute ones in the TS. Need to look for some plates this year I think.

Karen, I know what you mean--all of us seem to have a hard time knowing when to STOP don't we? If it's pretty, we want it!

Jenn, I just can't believe you don't have guys knocking on your door day and night! You have such a fun personality and a way with words. Not to mention the fact that you are a good bargain hunter and good decorator too. They just don't know what they are missing. ;o) But I agree, we should decorate to make ourselves happy and if others enjoy, that's great too.

Sounds like this Valentine's, St. Pat's, and Easter should be really fun around here. Can't wait to see everyone's creations whether it be pretty tables, vignettes or just a few decorations here and there.

Luvs

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Ah, you are indeed a sweetie, Luvs... The kind of person with a unique knack for making everybody feel like a million bucks. :) Thanks.

I hope to post some Valentine's Day decorating pictures this weekend. This particular display has proven to me I'm glad I hoard stuff (probably not the BEST life lesson, but so be it)-- because as I was putting it together I realized I had JUST THE THING already, and didn't need to buy anything at all for the decorating.

Dontcha just LOVE that what that happens?? I know you all have done the same a bazillion times!

It definitely promises to be a fun couple of months ahead on the holiday board! Thanks to you folks, my friendly neighborhood enablers!

-Jenn

• snolady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm new to this tablescape decorating but had to tell all you wonderful ladies that I picked up some beaded red birds in WalMart Christmas clearance ( got them for 45 cents each) and going to use them as Valentine "lovebirds". Not sure what else I will put with it yet. I don't have a formal dining room in this house so not sure where I will set it up yet either. Sure miss not having a formal dining room.

• janied
    16 years ago

does anyone know where i can buy the stacked plates? Thank you for your help, Janie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Snolady, beaded red birds sound so pretty! Can't wait to see a pic of them. You know, I went to Walmart twice after Christmas to look at the clearance items and didn't find anything neat! Bummer! Some others here don't have formal dining rooms either, we just decorate whatever area we have. Your red birds could sure be worked into some stacked plates or maybe on a napkin ring for Valentines. Maybe others will have more ideas for you.

Janied, several people have found the stacked plates at Target online. Someone on here just got a set at a really great price, but right now I can't remember who it was. Old timers disease you know!

Luvs

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I don't have too much for Valentine's day. But red and pink and white can be utilized, so I will do that..and fresh flowers, I will treat myself if no one else does, lol..Strawberries dipped in chocolate, a lovely centerpiece!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions