SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiagirl_gw

What kind of bids and contracts should we be looking for?

californiagirl
15 years ago

DH and I have final plans from the architect and have an hourly construction consultant working up a bid document. I am looking for advice about how to structure the bidding and contracts in a way that gets us an efficient build, but with the custom quality that would match our house and neighborhood.

This is actually a major addition (about 2000 sq. ft. total including basement -- new kitchen, 3 bathrooms, new family and master, new deck) to our current house in Wisconsin, not a completely new home. But since it involves all the trades a new build would require and is doubling the size of our current house, I figured I should ask here instead of the Remodeling forum. Maybe I'll cross-post.

We are self-financing, not using a bank. We don't want to GC this ourselves, but we do want to bid subs separately and to separate materials bids from labor bids for all bids. We would pay all invoices directly, rather than do fixed bid draws to a GC and expect him to pay subs. This is in part because we want the flexibility to customize materials more than most locals are used to and I've done a lot of product and materials research. It is also because we are in a relatively expensive labor market or used to be, but some contractors are going out of business in the down market and we don't want our project to get stuck. Finally, we will finish our basement after we get this done first and we'd like the subs to know that we pay promptly and will be looking to hire again. Hopefully we'll learn enough on this one to be able to GC that part ourselves.

Four years ago, when we first wanted to do this project, the local residential construction business was booming and contractors wanted to charge $250 a sq. ft. for basic finished space and do it their way. Material prices have not gone down since then, but the residential construction market in our area is much, much slower than it has been in the 11 years since we moved here, so we figure this is our time. Carolyn53562, who lives in this same area, thinks so, too.

We expect more bidders should be available and interested in this project in 2008, but we suspect we may get some resistance to the way we want to break out the bidding. Don't know how flexible folks will be. The initial estimate from one bidder (in January before the plans were final) made me think he was hoping to make his whole year on our project. I have done too much research to find his numbers serious, but I was discouraged because it seemed like we risk getting zip-coded. The local NARI chapter meets monthly at the country club across the street!

What kind of a contract should we looking for and what is it called? How should we structure bidding and contracting for this project?

Forgot to mention, DH is an attorney (litigator) but we don't want to need his professional services except to review the contracts.

Comment