SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calypsochick

the usual grout saga that is making me lose my mind!!

calypsochick
13 years ago

Hi, everyone. So, my porcelain floor is driving me crazy. I love how it looks in general. But it's torturing me.

There are a couple of chips which I posted about earlier, but I think I'm over it and leaving them be, at least until after the kitchen is totally installed and then I'll re-assess any other damage that may occur when cabinets and appliances are put in.

But initially, the wrong grout color was put down. We were using Custom Building Products, and I've read all about its history here on this forum. We chose Pewter, and our contractor put down Delorean Gray instead. They scraped it up, and I think that's when they might have chipped a few tiles. After seeing how light the Delorean Gray was, we decided to replace it with something even darker than Pewter: Charcoal, the darkest one on the chart. It's pretty much black. But after THAT dried, it doesn't really look black to me. There are some places that look fine because it's a really dark gray, other places that are light gray, and I can't tell if it's because some of the light grout is still there or what. But the grout colors on the floor are uneven. And some of the grout itself seems chipped out in a couple of spots.

So now after doing research on here, I'm leaning towards using the Aqua Mix Grout Colorants. I'm thinking I should use the Black Grout Colorant that's on the chart, right? How careful does one have to be in applying this? Do you have to paint it on and make sure you do not get any on the tiles at all? It's okay if I wait until my kitchen is installed to do this part?

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)