SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

removing toilet seat? HELP!?!

anoriginal
11 years ago

Replacing a toilet seat has turned into a never ending project. Seat has metal (rusty) bolts and plastic/nylon nuts. There's little room to either side of toilet... and frankly, I'm a bit too claustrophobic to even think about sticking my head in there... probably wouldn't be able to see much anyway.

After thinking about how right/tighty left/loosey would translate from underneath to on top, got out vise grips. The plastic nuts are getting chewed up and vise grips are slipping. Have fear that I'll repeat something my Dad did on my grandmother's toilet... punched a HOLE in the bowl when pliers slipped!?!

Have DROWN the bolts with WD-40 and Liquid Wrench... no help. Seat is the tiniest bit loose. Thinking of trying to slide a thin hack saw under and slowly sawing?? Also had a possibly hare-brained idea?? Have a woodburning tool in my stash of craft stuff. It has interchangeable tips for different things. One is a sharp wedge... for lines. Another is a fine point... for cutting stencils. Wondering if I could just cut thru plastic nut with HEAT?!?

Any tips?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH