SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren674_gw

Wow, its was frustrating trying to buy the tile!

lauren674
15 years ago

After 3-4 years (or more) we are going having a contracter friend complete our bathroom. I bought the hex tile floor online and we're very pleased with the quality and delivery.

Yesterday, realized its time to get the wall tile, since he's coming tommorrow to start on the floor. After calculating all various pieces and 10% more, I set off for Home Depot. Sat down with the guy to order and it took about 10 minutes to realize my chances of getting this order right were nil...he just didn't know how to find the different trim pieces, etc. in his book and didn't know the different terms. It was an awful book just lines and lines of pieces, not in any functional order.

I then went to the TileShop. Beautiful store, the rep. snagged me as soon as I was in the door. I told him my needs and he said, "Oh, we don't have daltile but we do have this imported no name subway white for $4.45 sf, but we don't have any 6x6, we don't have 1/2" black liners, we have 11 bullnose in stock. Basically, my simple white tiles are way to simple for their store. He wasn't interested it writing up an order...though I should change the design and buy what they had on hand, and I figured I should go elsewhere for a better price at least.

Went to Lowes: Me - I'd like to sit down and order some tile with you. Him - What is it for? Me - A Bathroom Him - For a kitchen? Me - No, for a bathroom. Him - For a backsplash? Me - ....are you pulling my leg? Him - Well, we ONLY sell tile for backsplashes, not for bathrooms. Found DH in the store and told him what was said, and he said what difference does it make where you use it, its tile. I said that I don't want to order my tile from a store with that kind of service or policy.

So, we are down to another option, which is the local Daltile showroom. They won't sell to homeowners, so I'll have to get the contracter to go over there even though he asked that I should purchase the tile and have it here. They have every piece, every shade and option available...they just won't sell it, or give the pricing, to regular people. Will go at lunch and try to write up the order so he can just come in, pay and pick it up. Sure hoping they will allow me to do this.

I so prefer to buy things online.

Comments (10)