SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eg_nh

Range, BTUs, and Propane Tanks

eg_nh
10 years ago

I've read as many threads as I can on pro-style ranges. I'm about to make my selection, and want opinions about a couple of questions I haven't really seen addressed in depth elseshwere.

I'm going to end up with a 36" dual fuel freestanding range- I like Blue Star or the Aga Legacy, but not quite sure what we'll go with pending availability, pricing, etc.

To be honest, I actually don't think I really need 22000 BTUs. Given that, I'm wondering if going with something with that much firepower (i.e. the Blue Star) is a bad idea because we live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a gas line. This thing will have to run off of our existing 100 gallon propane tank, which exists to support our emergency generator.

So, my questions:
1. Is there any reason to be concerned about running a gas range off a propane tank (a few other threads here suggest no)?
2. Does that answer change if the range is maxing out at around 15,000 BTUs (AGA) vs. 22,000 (Blue Star)?
3. Since I'm not doing a lot of intense stir frying, etc., I really think I can live without the BTUs. As much as I like the look of the Blue Star and its American manufacturing, what other options would you recommend as a less powerful machine? I can admit that I like the look/styling of the pro ranges- if only the "downmarket" options didn't have such a cheap look and feel--I really think the power of less expensive brands is more suitable to me, I just can't get over how cheap they look (and appear to be based on ratings). I know that's vain, but I want this thing to last and I don't want to hate seeing it for the next 15 years. I cook a lot, so quality and functionality are really important.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville