SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo1121

'Twas the night of bad things (long)

flamingo1121
16 years ago

Twas the night (or 2) before our big Christmas Party and all throught the house, not a creature was stirring not even the cat who loves a good mouse.

The stockings were waiting to be hung by the chimney by care in hopes that I would have some time to spare.

So this morning what to my wondering eye should appear but my Christmas Tree on the GROUND, it was my worst fear!

Yes you read that right, after 15 years of having live trees this year we choose a jumper! My DH put the tree up Sunday night and had trouble getting the tree secured in the pivot tree base, but we thought he did it ok. I decorated it on Monday night after dinner (7:30 - 11:30pm). I sat down that night had a glass of wine and admired its beauty.

Last night DH comes home and comments that the tree seemed to be tilting toward the room. I said it must be an optical illusion because when you look at it from a different view point it looked ok. He said I was wrong but would look at it in the morning because he had a very bad cold and was going to bed.

This morning I was shocked when I looked in the room where the tree was and saw it there all sprawled out on the ground and ornaments shattered. I started screaming the tree fell, DH and DD come running down to a weeping me. DH said what tree through fell the house, I said that I would have rather had a tree fall into the house than my Christmas Tree! Honestly I could have handled that.

We proceeded to remove what ornaments we could get to, pulled the tree up and removed everything else. So I am now back to square 2 (lights are on the tree so that is square 1) Tonight when he gets home from work - and based on his last call to me might not be til late - we have to re-secure the tree and get it stabilized. Then I have to redecorate it for another 3-4hours.

I have a Cocktail Party at my house on Friday evening, house is dirty, the tree is naked, desserts are prepped but not baked, I need to go to the grocery store, and i need to make appetizers....ok I am freaking a little.

Thank you all for reading and letting me vent. I just can't believe after 15 years, a new stand -honestly I think it is the stands fault-they just don't make them the way they use too - that my tree fell over.

Happy Holidays :)

Heidi

Comments (14)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oh Heidi, I am so sorry! I know how frustrated you must feel. And you are right, it is hard to find a good stand anymore. Hope DH and DD will lend a hand. Luvs

• cinlo
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry! I just have a toddler who removes ornaments & the ribbon that he can reach, and that really gets me! After having spaced out everything so that no like things are too close together, it's hard to put them back just anywhere. I can't imagine having to redo the whole tree! I'm learning though to just let it go, but it is hard when you have an ideal about a perfect tree. Try to enjoy recreating your lovely tree!

• flamingo1121
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs and Cindy-thank you for you kind thoughts. I just can't believe it happened right before a party. Well at least it didn't happen on Xmas Eve...so there is bright side.

DH says that instead of me fretting over appetizers and like for the party, that we will take a trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joes and see what they have...with my luck lately they will have nothing.

Cindy that is funny how your son re-designs your tree. My kids for some reason never did that but it was nice to see my DD (15) pick up the ornaments and comment which ones made it and which ones didn't. She was excited to see that the hidden pickle came out unscathed. I will cherish that memory of her doing that.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Can't help any, but here are some hugs ((((((Heidi))))))...I would be so sad to loose ornaments, and I TRULY understand a Saturday night party, and on Wednesday the house looks like a bomb went off in it!!! Good luck with everything!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

That's terrible Heidi. Tho I think it's sweet you already have a special memory with your daughter and the hidden pickle surviving the Crash of 07. Just think, NEXT year you might even look back and find something to laugh over with this disaster.
    For now, hang in there. I'm sure your party will be wonderful and the tree will look lovely. We'll all wish it so for you!

hugs, Karen

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Don't panic. I am sorry this happened, but take a deep breath and very methodically do what you can. I always heard bad matinees made for good performances so maybe this is an omen your party will be WONDERFUL. I bet it will. I learned long ago to anchor the tree to the wall with fishing line. So been there, done that.

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

flamingo, I'm so sorry you've had such a bad time with your tree and hope that you get your spirits back up soon. And how nice of your DH to spare you the work of making appetizers. I think most of us have lost an ornament or two (or way more) through mishaps over the years. I hope your favorite ones were spared. I'm sure your party will be wonderful.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh-- you poor thing!

My own tree has been attempting to migrate from its spot all week, so I understand what you're going through. I've already straightened and retightened it twice. And you're quite right-- it's hard to tell whether it's moved, or whether you're imagining it!

Hang in there.
    -Jenn

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I feel for you! On the good side, it could have fallen down during the party. That would have been worse.

This must be a tree conspiracy across the nation. We're starting to call our home The Villa Pisa. The leaning is subtle, but it's happening. We've adjusted twice but we're still concerned. My husband has assured me it WOULD NEVER fall over. Yeah, right!

Our party is here on the 20th. I'm crossing my fingers the tree cooperates.

• cattknap
    16 years ago

Gosh, I'm so sorry.

• judithva
    16 years ago

Heidi, I am so sorry to hear that happened to you! But you are certainly taking it with good grace! Hang in there!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

I've been fighting my own battle with my tree... so far it hasn't fully toppled over (you poor dear!!!), but it was looking like a drunken sailor on Saturday morning.

You might get a laugh and some consolation out of my blog post about it. I'll put the link below. Next year, I think I'm going to go with a fake tree. I don't care for not knowing what will be there waiting for me when I come home. :)

--Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Migratory patterns of indoor pine trees

• flamingo1121
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone! This has been my first chance to log on since that day. Thank you all for your kind words..it really does help.

Here is the update on the naughty tree. That night my DH and I went to Lowes and bought a second stand, this one doesn't pivot so you have to be pretty darn good at getting it straight the first time BUT it came with 8 screw "thingees"...bi leveling so if the trunk is crooked the 8 will get it at both levels. It seems to be working.

I got up at 4am on Thurs to re-decorate with the remaining ornaments and I have to say it looks better the second time around! Funny thing it took me another 4 hours to redo it.

As for hubby and I going to store for app's for the party, that didn't transpire since he worked right up til the start of the party on Friday evening. So on Thurs am I went to the grocery store for the fixings and of course there was a HUGE storm coming early that afternoon and that is also the day grocery stores change sales...so it was crowded with people buying food as thought we would be socked in for years by snow and the thursday die hard shoppers..what a mess!

To top it off I had a ladies luncheon to attend late morning to early afternoon. That part was fun!

Friday was utter chaos. NO help from DH, kids were in school, so no help there. When the final hours came around, stuff was shoved here there and everywhere, but the house "looked" clean and the food was good. Some people didn't show so we had lots of leftovers.

The rest of the weekend was dedicated to cleaning up. My feet were killing me and I am so happy to be back at work sitting on my tush for 8 hours.

Tonight I have to find some stuff that I stuffed who knows where.

Thank you again for your support. Happy Holidays to all.

Heidi

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Heidi, If it can happen...it will! LOL It sounds like your party went very well even with all the background chaos. And good luck finding your hidden items. That part gets harder for me every year. Glad you made it through it all successfully.

Sponsored
More Discussions