SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

Large shower remodel: floor pan dilemma

dgmarie
9 years ago

My head is spinning. We have a very large walk in shower, roughly 80 x 80 square. It does not currently leak that we can tell. Its on the first floor over a basement. It's about fifteen years old and needs to be redone cosmetically. The tile is ugly and the current floor seems to be small tiles laid over larger tiles laid over god knows what. The small tiles have popped,off hence visibility to the strange double tile floor. Don't laugh.

We've chosen a porcelain tile for the floors and walls.

Two different quotes came in. Each prefers completely different shower install methods.

First guy wants a mud pan floor, dura rock walls. He has used kerdi some, but says our floor is too big for kerdi standard pan, and he's not familiar with another way to do the floor.

Second guy is younger says he only uses Wedi and mud beds are old school, prone to leak and we'd be fools (in so many words) to consider anything else.

This is a $20,000 master bath remodel. I'm not interested in doing things cheaply or hi techy. I just want it to be done quality and give me no problems.

Comments (8)