SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2011a

DalTile or Home Depot Subway Tile? Matte or Glossy? DIY?

newhomeowner2011a
12 years ago

Hi,

I went to a local store that I learned has DalTile (saw it was used by several people on various forums posts...) today and they said they had two options - one was "metro subway" tile and one was the "Dal" subway tile. He wasn't very informative so I thought I'd ask the experts (y'all!) what you recommend.

Also, I noticed Home Depot has subway tile as well.

We are looking to do the tub surround in our 1920's house in what Dal is calling artic white (so whatever the equiv would be of the other options). Our goal is to make the space fresh and classy looking (if that helps with what you'd suggest) :-)

So I guess what I'm asking is -

1. What is the difference in Dal Tile, what he is referring to as just "metro subway" tile (didn't seem to have the separators - maybe that is the difference?) and the Home Depot subway tile?

2. Matte or glossy? (Matte seems to be about $0.50 less/sqft)

My husband and I were hoping to do this project ourselves but the guy in the store (of course he sells installation) said that while we could save some money on the demo part of it, the durock is where he thinks we might have trouble and suggested bringing in a professional to do that and the actual tiling (our walls are plaster). We don't have any tiling experience but know there are classes at Home Depot and several videos/website with advice on how to do this. He quoted me $600 for the durock and tile installation portion. Has anyone ever heard of bringing in someone for just the durock portion of a tiling reno? (he said their minimum is $300 so it wouldn't be cost effective obviously wit his company to do something like that - at least he was honest!) ;)

Thanks (as always!) for your suggestions/advice!!!

Comments (10)