SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
speedlever

30 inch slide-in dilemma

speedlever
9 years ago

Our ancient (inherited with the house 14 years ago) Magic Chef all gas slide-in has been dying for a long time. I've managed to work around the electronic issues by just unplugging it after use. But now the oven is becoming tempermental and we never know what temp it's going to provide. Parts are non-existent per my repair guy.

The range started out all electric and the prior owners converted to gas. So there's an electric outiet in back with a blank on the front. I assume I still have 220v available there. So I'm assuming we have maximum flexibility with minimum setup hassle.

That being said, we had an OTR microwave that vented internally. It died and I just removed it and put a table top MW in. My wife wants another gas range, but I am highly interested in induction ranges.

If we go with another gas range, I'm sure it will have higher output burners than the old MChef. I do not want that setup without having an externally vented OTR microwave or venthood. The latter would likely require some relatively expensive cabinetry modifications.. and maybe affect the 12" soffit over the 14" cabinets over the range.

Seems to me the extra money might be better spent on a slide-in induction range (we need new cookware anyway).

But my wife is adamant about wanting gas. I feel my efforts to educate her about induction have been in vain!

What to do?

Comments (14)