SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Lost for tub remodel ideas (sorry long)

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new here but not new to THS, but I usually hang out at the Cooking Forum. I'm hoping for some community knowledge/advice because I am sure stumped. I've got to do something with my bathroom. Here's the background.

Row house is circa 1929. Upstairs bathroom has issues, perhaps even mold, I'm afraid to think about it. I want to rent out my two guest rooms to help cover expenses as I have been out of work for almost a year and a half. I work part time and am living off savings too. So money is tight to say the least. The reason I think I need to redo the bathroom is because it can barely function with just me, and I don't think it will hold up if two people start using the bathroom. But I may end up having to move if I get a job somewhere else. On the other hand, I may stay, g-d willing if I find a full time job. The tub is really the worst most critical issue, the sink and floor tile and walls are fine. The bathroom is one of the worst parts of the house, so if I do end up selling I will not regret sprucing up the bathroom. But I need to figure out how to do this in the most cost effective manner. I am not particularly handy, but I could try or try and get some friends to help.

Sorry I don't have a digital camera so I'm going to have to try and describe the tub situation. It is a cast iron tub, oval in shape somewhat like a claw foot tub but it doesn't have feet, it sits directly on the floor but is rounded on the sides. The top edge curls out and there is no ledge around the tub to speak of, what is there is rounded. The tub has been semi-boxed in. One side is against the entrance wall, and the other side of the tub is very close to the toilet. A weird shaped wooden wall has been constructed between the toilet and the tub. It only comes out halfway at the top, so the shower plumbing is exposed, but halfway down it goes the rest of the way across the side of the tub to enclose the water faucets. As a result, the old holes for the faucets that were cut into the tub were covered with chrome disks, which have now rusted out and don't adhere well anymore.

Around the other two walls of the tub surround are large white plastic wall boards, that were glued to what my educated guess would be small old subway-style tile. This plastic has not worn well due to very hard water. The plastic wall boards no longer stick properly to the wall. I don't know what I will find under the current plastic walls, my worst fear is a bunch of mold.

The old chrome fixtures are ugly and probably clogged with lime. The tub itself is pitted and stained permanently grey, mixed with rust around the fixture areas.

I already had one remodeler come look at it, and he quoted me at least 4.8K and that didn't include money for taking out the tub. He wanted to reroute the shower head to the other wall to get it away from the toilet. But I haven't had a problem with water getting out of that area onto the toilet. I want to keep it simple if possible. But I don't want to invest in something that is going in a landfill in two years and will look cheesy before that. But maybe that is the best option.

One thought is to reglaze the tub, but I'm not sure how to handle these old holes in the tub for the old fixtures--they are potential rust and corrosion sites for the future.

The tub seems kind of ugly to me and it seems like throwing good money after bad, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to find someone to reinstall and replumb a new tub cheaply and simply. I might be able to handle the destruction of the old tub myself. Then again, I might end up in the hospital, lol!

The next issue is the tub surround. I don't know what to do about the weird wooden wall--I don't know if it is salvagable or what the replacement option is. Then I'm thinking about tiling. But with the ugly tub, is that just dressing up a pig with a nice necklace? I think I would have to rip out all the old subway tile and do g-d knows what to the walls afterwards. Depends on what I find under the plastic parts.

The other option is to see about one of those custom plastic molded inserts. Kind of what my friend described as "a slipcover for your tub." Does anyone have experience with these? Do they last at all? I wouldn't mind if they were really good for a couple of years and then went to pot, since by then I would either have the house sold or have a job and be able to replace them.

OK, this is a really long post, sorry. But without a camera this was the best I could do.

Thank you very much in advance for sharing your experience, ideas and help.

Lpink

Comments (7)