SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

HELP - Sizing & selecting a tubs for non "bath" people

piscesgirl
10 years ago

We are planning our hall/family/guest bath remodel and need to pick out a tub. Let me first just say...DH and I are "shower" not "bath" people and this is our first tub purchase.

This is the only tub/bathroom in our 4 bedroom house (master bath is 52 sq ft with shower only).

TUB SIZE: Our current harvest gold steel tub is measuring 29.5x58.5 which seems like an odd small size. I was hoping a 60x30 will fit, but I am not so sure. How do you determine how much is covered by tile (probably not 1.5" right?).

Thankfully left side wall of the tub backs to a bedroom closet, so we may be able to take some room out of the closet if need be. As for width, I am hoping a 30" fits (tiled wall appears to be 29.75" wide). Do you think it would be worth the extra cost to bump out the entire wall (plus move over the bathroom door) so we could fit a 60x32 or 60x34?

TUB DEPTH Since this is the only tub in the house, do we go with a deeper soaker tub (20") since the master is missing a bath, or do we go with a lower height (14")? Would the deep soaker be practical for bathing kids (we don't have kids...so I haven't a clue).

I have been looking at 30x60 tubs like the Kohler Bellwether (probably won't fit since it says it is 30.25" wide), Kohler Archer and Mirabelle Edenton. Part of me says get the Bellwether (if it fits) since that is what would work for us, and part of me thinks the deeper tub is more appealing but DH just keeps saying, "your never going to use the darn thing and stepping over it is going to be a PITA for guests and kids"

Thoughts?

Comments (7)