SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

What kind of beadboard can be used in a bathroom?

lizzie_nh
12 years ago

I have been wanting to apply beadboard wainscoting to the walls in one of my bathrooms, as well as using the same beadboard for "modifying" my existing vanity. I went to Lowes to see what was available, and saw three different items - true beadboard (real wood, in tongue and groove sections), some sort of white cardboard-esque paneling in 4'x8' sheets, and thin wood paneling in 4'x8' sheets.

Unfortunately, the true beadboard or even tongue and groove MDF boards (which I hear are available, though I did not see them there) likely will not work in my bathroom due to their thickness. I foresee issues with where they meet the door trim (which is not all that thick) etc.. I also would prefer not to put on new baseboards (I'd like to reuse my existing ones) but my existing ones will not work below thick beadboard. I had expected to apply thin paneling down to the floor and then reattach my baseboards on top of it. If I have thick beadboard behind the baseboards, they'll project further than the trim around the door. If I simply attach thick beadboard above the baseboard, it will not work due to the detail on top of the baseboard.

I'm now calling into question the idea of the paneling, though. Both the cardboard-y and real wood paneling says "use in dry conditions only." Does that mean APPLY in dry conditions only? Or can it not be used in any moist environment? The beadboard is unlikely to be splashed with water, but it will of course be exposed to high humidity. I don't expect the cardboard kind to work well because it seems to have a paper exterior, but what about the real wood paneling?

What have people used with success?

Comments (9)