SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laremodel_gw

Adding shower to powder room

LARemodel
9 years ago

I met with my architect this morning to discuss plans for the upcoming remodel of my 2nd floor master bathroom and 1st floor powder room. Part of the renovation plans include converting an underused walk-in closet in the master bedroom to other uses.

After looking at my plans, the architect recommended that I move the main floor laundry room upstairs. That is, put the laundry room on the 2nd floor in the walk-in closet, with an entry from the hallway instead of bedroom. (All bedrooms are on 2nd floor).

This leaves enough space to add a shower to the powder room - something I thought about when I broke my ankle ten years ago, when my son was in beach camp seven years ago, when my son had knee surgery a year ago, and whenever my Mom stayed with me in the last few years. (She passed away three months ago at age 99 and I miss her terribly.)

Anyway, now I'm thinking about the design for the shower in the powder room. Should the shower be "hidden" behind doors, or should it be openly visible to guests walking in to use the powder room?

I don't know if there's enough space to make it ADA compliant, but should that be a consideration? My Mom transitioned to a wheel chair only in her last few months.

There's no bedroom on the main floor, but a comfortable pull-out sleeper.

Comments (13)