SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Induction and cast iron wok -- another why induction thread

plllog
13 years ago

I don't wok. My Asian friends have tried to teach me to stir fry, but I'm a little hopeless with chopsticks for the stir part. And I don't even fry much. When I was at the Le Creuset clearance sale, however, a wok followed me home. I thought it would be good for frying, and it was cute. It cost less than a puppy. :)

This wok is cast iron, enamelled inside and out, with a flat base and a rounded inside (no flat spot at the bottom). There's plenty of mass at the base to develop heat.

I'm really low on groceries. Tonight I just had this idea that garbanzo fritters were a good idea, so I made them in the wok. It behaved just the way I expected, limiting splatter, and requiring only a small amount of oil. The fritters came out great.

Why induction? Because I swear to you I got hotter from the hologen lights in my hood than from the hot wok with oil. The air conditioning didn't come on. The kitchen didn't get hot. Fritters in high Summer? Not entirely crazy after all.

So I also tried stir frying a few snap peas that I had because I knew people would want to know. They came out fine, though I'm no expert.

I don't know that a cast iron wok is ever going to get you great wok hai because the temperature is very steady, and if I understand correctly, you want to be changing the temperature a lot. What I can say is that once the wok was good and hot (it did take some time to get there because of the relatively small contact area and the high sides), it held the frying oil temperature quite well. I was only frying a few at a time, as one does, but the temperature recovered very fast.

I don't remember how many KW my center element has, but the wok wouldn't make the outer ring active, so I think it's about 1.8. I had it set on 6.5 or 7. Boiling oil would have been no problem. I tried to get a temperature with my candy thermometer but it was too hard to have the sensor in the oil without touching the bottom. I do think it would be possible to develop and hold a high enough temperature for stir fry, however. I was taught that you don't actually want the pan blazing hot, and that the issue is returning to heat as you add ingredients, rather than having a too hot wok.

Comparing this to making stock, my new understanding of using induction (which may not be right, it just seems to be right so far) is that you don't need the MORE POWER people get caught up in for a wok, which traditionally is used to make small amounts at a time. From what I can tell, power is for volume. The full stockpot takes a a lot of juice to keep simmering. The wok took considerably less.

Unfortunately, none of my able wokking friends lives close enough to come try it and give you a better report. Just wanted to say if you're concerned about how a plain old flat induction will work for wokking, do give it a try before dismissing it.

Comments (10)