SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swest2_gw

Grandma's Turkey Plates - What are your traditions?

swest2_gw
15 years ago

My in-laws moved out of state (from Calif. to Washington state) when our son was about 8 years old. He told his grandma that the thing he would miss the most was Grandma's turkey plates. (She always thought that was funny, coming in 2nd to a plate.) She served Thanksgiving dinner on those plates and he loved them. He also thought she did it especially for him as his birthday sometimes fell on Thanksgiving, which it does this year -- his 24th. Grandma sent four plates to him, and he was to share them with us and one in case of breakage. Then when my MIL got sick in 1999, she sent all of the turkey plates to him except for 2, one for her and one for grandpa. Then when they both passed, the two turkey plates came to him. Every year we always read the letter grandma sent with the original plates and I wanted to share it with you.

"Spokane, Thanksgiving, '92 - I'm sending you these four special plates because You recognized the tradition. I'd like for you to be able to carry on even if we're way up here. If you have guests, they can use "what-ever", but this is special for you. We've used these plates since 1946. I bought the plates for 50 cents each at the local dime store the year before your father was born. It was a small fortune for the time, but well woth the enjoyment we have had over the years. Your dad has used one of the plates his entire life. "

The plates are Japan Maruta Ware, 10 1/2" turkey plates. They are on e-bay for $65 a plate, but for him they are PRICELESS.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions