SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdpeck_charlotte

Venting... and I'm not talking about the attic...

bdpeck-charlotte
15 years ago

We haven't even broken ground yet and my neighbor is stealing from me... ok, that's not entirely accurate, his contractor is stealing from me.

While I'm in well drilling hell, I check on the site every other day or so. I went out on Sat to clear a new area for well drilling and noticed that someone had disturbed the Temp Power box. Upon investigation, it had been used based on the meter (which should be 0). Only one house within 1000ft, my neighbor's house that's under construction. And my memory sparks, I recalled that while I was with my well driller, their framers tripped the breaker on their power several times (my temp was not installed till the next day).

Ok, my fault for not telling them not to steal from me. So I turned off the breakers and put a lock on the box on Sunday.

Monday, everything ok. Tuesday, didn't go to the lot. Wednesday, lock missing, box damaged (just the locking tab), and more power used. So I called the sherriff, was met out there by a deputy, and the deputy is going to have a talk with the builder.

My electrician says that they don't make a box strong enough to keep people out.

So I bought one of those game/security cameras last night. If they'll break a lock off my power box, what will they do when my windows and doors start being installed?

The really sad parts to this, is the builder is the owner and will be my neighbor, great first impression he's made. And if he'd called and asked for the favor of using the temp power to supplement his, I'd have said yes.

Now, he's a thief and I'm a jerk who doesn't let my neighbor borrow a cup of sugar. America - 2008.

Comments (6)