SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

A Few Thoughts On My True Refrigerator

John Liu
12 years ago

I thought you might be interested in my refrigerator.

The story is, about two months ago, an acrid smell awoke us in the middle of the night. Investigation showed a puddle coming from under our nice stainless 35'' Frigidaire Gallery side-by-side. The next day, a sympathetic refrigerator repairman gave us the bad news. So sorry. Your fridge is dead. It's not repairable. You don't have to pay anything for the visit.

We loaded all the food into our basement freezer, two camping coolers, and a borrowed 1.5 cu ft ''dorm fridge'', and wondered what to do.

Should we simply buy a used 35'' fridge that would fit in the old fridge's drywalled cubby space? But we've been planning a kitchen remodel, and the plans called for a larger fridge. I didn't want to deal with a temporary fridge. So we decided, rather earlier than we'd expected, to get the new ''dream refrigerator''.

Which is, probably, not anyone else's dream refrigerator, but might be at least a curiosity for some.

I ordered a True T23-2, which is a commercial reach-in refrigerator-only with two doors, only about 29'' wide and 30'' deep but 84'' tall with casters, and 23 cubic feet. Narrow, tall, and spacious.

It took a month for the fridge to arrive, a month of shopping for every meal and draining the freezer, but finally an liftgate truck pulled into our street and a friendly driver deposited a very tall, 280 lb carton onto my driveway.

Here is the first problem with a commercial refrigerator. No-one brings the unit into your house, installs it, and sets everything up. You're on your own. Did I mention every path into my house involves at least five stair steps?

Thanks to some neighbors, a dolly, and a nifty wood ramp I built to fit my rear steps, we got the awkward thing into the kitchen, unbolted from the pallet, and sitting on its casters in the old fridge cubby.

Now to load the food. And here is the next problem with a commercial refrigerator. There are no organizational aids. It is a bare box with wire shelves. Not meant to hold a little jar of pickles and a small bottle of ketchup. It is designed to hold cartons of pickles and gallon jugs of ketchup. The little packages that we home cooks use get lost in there.

A trip to the restaurant supply store, and we had a variety of clear plastic food bins. A couple weeks' experimenting, and we learned a more or less effective way to organize food in these bins. A cheese bin, a meat bin, two veggie bins, some sauce and condiment bins, and so on.

Oh, are you having trouble hearing me? Well, that's the next problem with a commercial refrigerator. They are loud. The manufacturer doesn't give a hoot about noise, so compressors whine in the open belly of the machine, louvers rattle, and there is no sound dampening anywhere. This unit makes noise at 58dB when the evaporator fan is on. That's quite loud already. Every 20 minutes or so, the level rises for a minute or two, to 68 dB - when the compressor kicks in. (At 5 pm on 44th St near Time Square in Manhattan, with taxis driving by, construction work down the road, restaurant-goers walking and talking, and 8th Ave just a block away, I measured 70 dB.)

Frankly, I haven't done much about this. The constant 58 dB, I've gotten used to. I don't hear it, unless I'm trying to. You can get used to a lot. I grew up under the flightpath at LAX. 747s would roar toward the runway, gear down, flaps deployed, their gray bellies looming overhead as I tossed the ball to serve. I didn't hear those either, after awhile.

I did stop the rattling louvers with some carefully placed magnets. When we get the kitchen remodeled, I'll put sound dampening in, under and over, the refrigerator enclosure; place dampening material on the large resonating surfaces of the fridge; and look into having the compressor vent down into the basement instead of through the front louvers. I'm not, frankly, expecting much improvement. You know what? I'm okay with it. It is a lot quieter than a 747.

I've told you about the problems of my True T-23 - and there are more, like no warranty, only one repair shop in town willing to service it in my house, roughly twice the energy consumption of an Energy Star residential unit, and some sharp corners on the doors. I hasten to add, none of these were a surprise. I did my research and knew about all these drawbacks.

Why, you ask, did we get the blasted thing then?

Because it holds a heckova lotta food. You have to get a pretty large residential unit to have 23 cu ft of refrigerator space (we have a freezer downstairs, so that isn't real important to us).

Because it gets food cold fast - with a 1/3 hp compressor and a powerful evaporator fan, it is like a blowing winter storm in there all the time.

Because I don't think consumer refrigerators are made to last anymore. Our Frigidaire only made it 10 years before its sudden death, and plastic bits and bins were breaking all the time, the icemaker had given up long ago, in-door water didn't work, and the replacement bins I'd bought were themselves breaking. This commercial model should last many decades, and it is dead simple if something goes wrong - every part is out in the open, they are widely available, I can remove and replace everything myself.

The larger plan is - this unit will sit, in its new enclosure, next to an under-counter two drawer freezer, also a True or other commercial type. And then my ''island'' will be an under-counter refrigerator, dressed up to look like a regular wood island, with a butcher block top. That will give us enough freezer space for ice and ice cream, plenty of uncommitted refrigerator space for cooking prep work-in-progress, and this current unit for the normal food storage.

LAX, here I come.

Comments (26)