SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdrei_gw

Need feedback re Wolf hood sizes and 2 cfm motors

mdrei
10 years ago

After reading these forums for weeks I've decided to purchase a Wolf 30', All Gas (R304) range and a 30' Wolf Pro vent hood (under cabinet). The hood installation will require removal of an existing over range MW (with recirculating fan) and the new duct work will run straight out the back as the hood will be mounted on an exterior wall.

I'm bounded on the hood width at 30" but have a choice between 10" tall, 22" deep, 500 cfm (internal blower)...or one 18" tall, 24" deep with either 600cfm or 900cfm internal blower. The 24" tall cabinet above the hood will be compromised with either selection but aesthetically I think the 10" tall hood will look better and leave me a usable, albeit, shorter cabinet space above the hood. However, I've read enough on these boards to have me leaning heavily toward the 18" tall hood because it offers the 24" depth and I'm willing to live with the slightly more 'boxy' look and 4-5" (basically unusable) space left over for the practical gain in surface area. Lastly, I should note that I'm 6'5" so I'm having the hood mounted at 36" above counter surface (max height).

So...can anyone present a strong argument to go with the 10" high hood? If 18" tall hood is the obvious practical choice, does the blower cfm choice (600 vs 900) make a big difference given the range underneath and kitchen setup? I believe these hoods are manufactured by Wolf these days (internal parts sourced elsewhere, I'm sure). With that, any thoughts on whether the often cited suggestion that a higher cfm blower will provide a more quiet operation (at similar lower output) and is that a enough of a reason to go with higher cfm?

Any/all feedback is much appreciated.

Comments (3)