SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

A Survey: Do You Keep A Christmas Journal?

lynninnewmexico
14 years ago

Judging by the posts in my Christmas Decorating survey thread, some of you do. Me too! So, in an effort to tweak mine/ours with new ideas, here's a new survey:

If you keep a yearly Christmas Journal,

1) What do you keep it in? A nicely bound notebook, ring binder, computer program or what?

2) What lists do you keep in it? (Christmas card list? Gift lists? Etc.)

3) Do you write yourself a Christmas letter or a post-Christmas letter? Do you keep it in your journal to reread in later years?

Lynn

My own answers . . . and now you can see why I'm asking ;^D

1) What do you keep it in? Nicely bound notebook, ring binder or what?

* I keep so much info in my journal, it's now in a heavy 4" ring binder . . . and growing! A ring binder because I'm O/C enough that I want to be able to edit and don't like messy pages. This will be my 26th year of keeping it and I love being able to go back and read my entries from other years. Already, my kids enjoy reading about their early Christmases and it's my hope that someday my future grandkids will enjoy it as well.

2) What lists, etc. do you keep in it? (Christmas card list? Gift lists? Etc.)

*I have dividers with sections for:

~ Christmas cards sent & received

~ Our annual Christmas letters that I send out in our cards (a short,chatty, fun one with a few family photos embedded in it, not one of those tedious, braggy ones)

~ Gifts given (so that I don't give the same gifts again; I have such a crummy memory!)

~ Gifts received (great when it comes to writing my thank you cards!)

~ New decorations purchased that year (I really need this around the following November as, by that time, I've forgotten what I bought the previous year!)

~ Things needed or wanted for next Christmas Season (for example, that I don't need any more wrapping paper, but will need more medium-sized gift bags and some red ribbon . . . but no more green! Or that we'll need two more strings of lights, etc.)

~ My kids' annual wish lists. They're 25 & 15 y/o now and I still keep them every year. I love going back and rereading the ones they wrote, especially when they were young. They're so cute and funny and their little drawings and funny comments are priceless for me/us to see now)

~ Each years' Christmas Eve's dinner, Christmas Morning's Breakfast and Christmas Day's dinner menus . . . and comments about which what went over well and what I need to change next year.

~ And last but certainly not least, my annual letter to myself that I write every year on December 26th or 27th. See #3's answer for details ;^D

3) Do you write yourself a Christmas letter or a post Christmas letter? Do you keep in in your journal to reread in later years?

* Yes, I write one to myself every year right after Christmas while everything's still fresh in my memory. I keep them in chronological order in my journal, going back the entire 26 years of my marriage. I recap what happened during the holidays, good and bad. I also ALWAYS chide myself about getting too worn out stressing about the cleaning, the decorations, the baking, the last minute gift buying, etc. The letters have actually helped me a lot, especially in keeping the true meaning of the holidays in proper perspective, as it was getting out of hand up until the last year or so.

So, I'd love to hear abut your own Christmas Journals and maybe get some ideas to refine my own.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions