SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisabellavita_gw

Cleaning your Capital or Blue Star Rangetops?

LisaBellaVita
10 years ago

I already know how most of you feel about cooking on the CC and BlueStar open burner rangetops, but please share how you approach keeping these beauties looking good! Just looking for feedback on the rangetop and grill since I will be getting double electric wall ovens (self-cleaning). I use my appliances and I'm not looking for pristine showroom clean, just enough ease in cleaning methods so it's not arduous and looks like I care!

I have used a Viking open burner rangetop for 9 years that I adore! But alas, I'm building a new house and I can't take it with me. So I am trying to source a similar open burner rangetop that not only cooks as well as or better than my Viking but is NOT a pain to clean. I had a Thermador open rangetop prior (purchased 20 years ago) that had heavy double cast iron grates and stainless (ha!) steel grill that never looked good. It was a chore to carry them outside to the driveway and spray down with oven cleaner--Ughh!. I didn't do this very often, as you can imagine, especially in winter. With the Viking, on an everyday basis I just wipe it down with soap and water and shine up the porcelain and stainless trim with windex. The cast iron grates don't always look perfect, but that's okay with me. And the porcelain drip pains have stains that never come off, but they are hidden fairly well under the grates. I use a brass brush dipped in water to clean the grill while it's still hot after cooking. I love that everything just falls through to the drip drawer below, which I've lined with foil--easy to replace the foil every once in a while and no cleaning required. For more thorough periodic cleaning, the top breaks down easily for soaking parts in Simple Green and hot water. The individual cast iron grates are a manageable size and weight to clean in the sink.

Also, can I use the same grill brush/steam method on the infared grill as I use now? I've never used an infared grill.

Comments (19)