SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azmom_gw

Please review plan and save our ugly Guest Bathroom

azmom
10 years ago

We have a long, narrow, dark guest bathroom with dysfunctional floor plan. The first diagram is the current configuration:

1. A wall with a pocket door separates vanity and toilet/bathtub areas.
2. A long narrow window is up on the wall of long side of bath tub.
3. Vanity has two sinks. Notice how long the vanity is, the entire room is narrow, dreary and ugly.
{{gwi:1454869}}

We are making some changes, here is the plan:

1. Remove wall and pocket door to open up the room.

2. Remove bath tub and put in a walk in shower with frameless glass enclosure.

3. Next to the toilet put a 27" wide, tall linen cabinet. The top part of cabinet has double doors with selves inside. The lower cabinet has 3 drawers.

4. Remove one sink, and center a larger sink on the vanity with a 30" two-door cabinet beneath it to access the plumbing.

5. Put two banks of drawers under the counter of both sides of the sink.

{{gwi:1454870}}

I need your help with a few questions I have:

1. Are the sizes of the linen cabinet and sink cabinets adquate? Do we need to change their sizes?

2. Should we place the linen cabinet next to the door instead of next to the toilet?

I worry if it is next to the toilet, the room would feel suffocate that defeats the intention of removing wall and pocket door to make the room more open.

3. Is there any way we can make the room looks less narrow and long? In other words, can we use tiles or paint to create "Optical illusions" that makes the room seems a little wider?

I hate this bathroom, but due to budget cocern, we cannot make any big changes, such as moving walls. I am so looking forward to your suggestions that would help us to make the room more normal and pleasant.

Thank you in advance for the feedback and help.

This post was edited by azmom on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 0:28

Comments (19)