SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fauguy

Best OTR Microwave/Convection to fit in my space (with grani

fauguy
13 years ago

Four years ago I had the kitchen remodeled. It was old Formica and had all new cabinets installed with granite counters and full backsplash, which goes to the very bottom of the cabinets. When they reinstalled my GE Profile Microwave (it was only 3 years old at the time) they cut a piece of plywood to fill the gap above the granite, so the the plywood and granite would be a flush surface. The space is 30"W X 15"H. Now 4 years later the Magnetron in the microwave has gone out, and for parts and labor would cost about $300, so I've decided to replace it.

The problem I'm having is finding a new microwave that has a wall template that will fit in the spot without being drilled below 15". (Remember, the top 15" is plywood attached to the drywall, but below that is a full granite backsplash). We looked at the Whirlpool and KitchenAid, but both of those wall templates require you to drill them into the wall 17" down, which we can't do because of the granite.

So far, the only microwaves that I've found that have a template that can be drilled above the granite and into the plywood would be another GE, such as the PVM1870SMSS, JMV1790SK, and SCA1001KSS. Are there any other brands out there that might fit (keeping in mind you can't drill below 15" because of the granite)?

Also...even through we have a GE Profile Convection free-standing range, we purchased a counter-top DeLonghi DO1289 convection/toaster oven 4 years ago to use with smaller food items. It has worked well, but since the kitchen isn't huge, we need more counter room, so we've decided if we are going to replace the microwave, then get one with a convection so we can free-up the counter space that is used by the DeLonghi. Out of the 3 GE Microwave units I mentioned, the only two that have convection is the JMV1790SK and SCA1001KSS, though the SCA1001 is an Advantium that cooks with the halogen light and ceramic heating elements.

So basically what I need to know is what is the best OTR microwave/convection unit that has a wall template that can be drilled into the plywood/drywall no further than 15" down.

Comment (1)