SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azpen

Frameless shower door help!

azpen
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm at the final step of remodeling and am being very indecisive about the frameless shower configuration. Any help and advice is appreciated, especially if you have any positive/negative experience with your own shower door. Here's a picture of the remodeled shower:

https://picasaweb.google.com/aspens/FramelessShowerDoor?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_e8ZPnjrb4Mg#5752169341411521042

The bathroom door faces the shower. The picture shows it in full open position. The cabinet is to the right of the shower, about 5" away from the edge of the tiles. Tiles go up to but not including ceiling. The easy part is where the door will go (right of tub) but apparently having that little perpendicular piece on the right is messing things up.

Here are my questions:

1. Should the door open on the left or right when facing the shower from the outside? Opening door on left allows me to put a towel bar on the glass left of the door for easy access after shower, but it maybe less roomy to enter the shower with the tub on the left. Also when the shower door is fully open it will be sticking out further from the vanity, kinda feels like boxing yourself in. If I open the door on the right, someone suggested putting a hook on the glass to the right to hang towels temporarily.

2. I prefer completely frame less doors but to be structurally safe the piece of glass supporting the door hinge needs to either go all the way up to the ceiling or there needs to be a support bar added (smallest would be 6" bar at 45 deg angle between glass and perpendicular wall, like this: http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?ProductID=31530&GroupID=28291&History=39326:26928:28258&ModelID=28291&pom=0). To allow for better ventilation, I don't think all the glass should go up to the ceiling so the glass would not all have the same height. I could have all the glass going up to the ceiling except the door or just the panel of glass supporting the door. Which do you think looks worse? uneven glass or support bar?

3. Do you think it's necessary to have a small panel of glass to the right of the door before the perpendicular glass so there's a miter edge and the door doesn't close on top of the other piece of glass? That makes door is narrower (~25" instead of ~29") but it also avoids it hitting the bathroom entrance door when both are fully open.

Anything else I missed? I'm probably over thinking this but this will be a place that's used a lot so I really want to get it right.

Thanks a lot!!

Aspen

Comments (7)