SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

changing 3 types of flooring on slab to wood

loves2read
16 years ago

Posting remodel question because my post on flooring has not been responded to ...posted also on remodeling just now but this site is so active and you guys have so much experience...we are not going to build that house we were planning for a year...lots of reasons why...so we went back to MLS and 4 houses came on market this past week that looked like a good match for what we would have built...

one of them had bad driveway (for us anyway), another did not have as much yard as we wanted...the third listed last Friday, was great match except we did not see it until Monday and they had taken a contract for full price...so another house listed this Wed..we viewed it...it was in good condition, had most of room layout we wanted, had great lot w/trees so we put in contract that day--buyer accepted so it is under option for 10 days. Inspector comes Tuesday but problem will be no problems...belongs to airline pilot and they are usually pretty anal about keeping things together--colors are not for us in several rooms and is not as big as we would have built but overall is pretty good match...we can move in anytime after closing so there is time to make changes...

One big problem to me is that the main/first floor has three types of flooring and needs a more unified look to visually enlarge the spaces and traffic flow...

carpet in formal living and dining and family room

w/tile in walkway by den, in kitchen, utility, baths, and back hall

and engineered wood (I don't think it is laminate) in entry/study/front walkways

I would love to take it all out and put down real wide--plank hardwood--maybe distressed, maybe just darker stain...

because this house is less than the top of our budget and because it is in a good neighborhood and is not the most expensive house there, we can do some upgrades and still not overprice for market...

will probably change out kitchen counters before we move in as well since they are Corian and I hate that look...bathrooms have molded acrylic/fake marble--but those can wait...

HOw difficult will it be to make a uniform wood floor if there are three different types of flooring down now?

What is proper way to make an underfloor in this situation?

Can a floor guy know w/o tearing something out what it will take to make even sub floor?

We have asked if the owners have plans/blueprints which might give better info but have not heard back

I checked the flooring site and read that with the right sub floor and no height-matching issues, you can lay an engineered, floating wood over tile...but I don't want that kind of floor...I can't find one that looks real to me...

And I don't think this house would look right with something like the large terrazo tiles in most of common areas...that is too cold and tuscany...

don't think DH sees changing out the flooring as an issue right now since they are in good shape...and don't think he wants to break contract during option period because of this issue alone to shop for comprable house that we might not find or might have to pay significantly more for...

This is really a nice lot w/trees and privacy which are important factors in our priority list...

Any suggestions or opinions appreciated...

Comments (5)