SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bean_al

2 bathrooms into 1

bean_al
16 years ago

This is going to be a long first post for me, but I need some advice. My husband I bought our first house several months ago. It is about 1000 sq. ft. and has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The master bathroom has to be renovated before I will even go in there. The guest bathroom is better but still needs to be renovated. The two bathrooms are identical. They are both 5x7 and share one 5 ft. wall. I would like to tear down the wall and make one larger 10x7 bathroom. My idea is to the hallway door lead to an enclosed are with a toilet and pedestal sink. The master bedroom door would lead to an area with a separate jetted tub, shower, and vanity. There would be a pocket door separating these two areas.

The problem is that this only gives one full bathroom upstairs. There is a finished basement that is one large room equal to the area of the house with a full bathroom and a closet. The only problem is that the only access to the bathroom is from outside. We have talked about putting in a spiral staircase (a regular staircase would not fit), but that would be several years down the road if ever.

Do you think this would be a good idea? Would it badly hurt our resale value? It would be perfect for my husband and I, and guests would still be able to use the bathroom without seeing where we get ready every morning. When we bought the house, it was advertised as 2 bed / 3 bath so I think we could sell as 2 bed / 2 bath, maybe even 3 bed / 2 bath if we put in the staircase. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!