SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Drop Zone/Office Vs. Mudroom

autumn.4
11 years ago

Hello all.

I am sort of a newbie but really more of a long term lurker who has migrated from kitchens to building a home. I spent countless hours on there learning while we were doing a modest kitchen upgrade but never posted since we are still not quite finished (appliances - they will come next year as we are prepping to sell).

So a little background. Currently live in a 1450 sq foot poorly laid out ranch (unless you are looking to buy - then it's fabulous). We are looking to build in the next 2 years so I've started researching since we are planning on building a forever home and I don't want to miss anything that would torture me for life!

The plan is a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home (about 1800 sq. ft or so) with a flex space (doubt we'd ever use a formal dining room) that we'd use more as an office I think? I want a mudroom for sure (2 boys ages 7 and 9 and a dog - lots of sand, dirt and the usual sticks, stones and various other treasures that come in with them). I definitely NEED a drop zone as currently it's part of the kitchen counter which is none to big and it drives me nuts - the amount of papers that come home from school is nothing short of amazing. I'd like to fit a washer, dryer, sink, chest freezer and cubbies in it but I don't know about the drop zone. Would that be more functional in an office where you'd put mail - school papers or would it be best in a mudroom type layout? Currently my washer and dryer are in a 1/2 bath that is 5x7 (I kid you not) - I HATE IT.

Any thoughts on that? I've seen several floor plans that are close but they don't always give dimensions and I'm having a hard time visualizing how big is big enough for that stuff. I'm kind of thinking if I had a drop zone in the mudroom maybe I wouldn't need the flex space as an office?

Thanks for any of your input! This site has been so helpful. I've already bookmarked several things that I don't want to forget when time gets closer.

Sorry this ended up being pretty wordy!

Comments (5)