SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

my silver rabbit teapot, Sly Slinkey n O.A.

Purplemoon
14 years ago

Here's a closeup of that teapot for y'all. (This was found on eBay, along with a matching sugar and creamer, for around $10. No one else bid.) The pieces are all heavily etched with rabbits and leaves and vines, while the teapot has the rabbit figural on it. Not counting the figural, the teapot is just 5x8, while the creamer and sugar are only 3 inches high. The markings on the bottom say CBK 1991. I just looked, heck and I thought this was an OLD piece. But I still love it. (the flash glared causing the discoloration near the spout.)

{{gwi:1443205}}
ok, Sly Slinkey and her nudging and Oldalgebra and her gag making her mumble... an attempt just for you. But I had no cup n saucer that looked right. Guess I'll put a straw in the pot and drink my tea that way. LOL At least I had a silver rabbit napkin ring that closely matches the finial.

And beautiful burgundy napkins thanks to our Luvs! I just bought the mirror tray, and had the book of poetry.

{{gwi:1443206}}

hugs, Karen

Comments (21)

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Karen, It looks wonderful!!! That tray is beautiful . . . did you make it??? Is the napkin ring part of the set or did you come across it someplace else? I think it's a lovely little vignette. Congrats and thanks!
    Lynn

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Whoa, Karen! It looks more than just OK. It looks more than just good. It looks great!

There's one problem though. You have just painted yourself into a corner. No more oh-I-just-couldn't-possible-put-anything-together-like-you-guys-do excuses. You've proved you're capable. The pressure's on now, kiddo.

The pieces are terrific. I love bunnies rabbits. And who doesn't like silver pieces??? You have a real nice grouping there. I'd love a cup of hot tea and a few vanilla finger cookies served from your little bunny set.

Way ta' go, girl.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OA, you'd have to bring your own cups. Thanks for the sweet, sweet compliments! But you didn't see the other 5 photos I took. LOL.

Lynn, I went to my favorite antique mall the other day and happened to spy that picture frame. Because of this Forum, I immediately thought TRAY for decor!!
    The bunny napkin rings were an eBay find. A set. The ring part is silver, and the bunny is gold. Its really pretty I think. Since I don't entertain, I just kept a pair and gifted the rest to another bunny lover who does wonderful tables.

For you newer members, its a sad but true fact that I never entertained, always hated cooking, and sure didn't buy dishes and such. We had the normal supper set is ALL, which occassionally got replaced.
    I use paper napkins, and didn't even own a cloth one! Much less a nice tablecloth. So once upon a time, last year, I bought the little lace one while antiquing. And Luvs sent me a pair of beautiful burgundy napkins...all in hopes I could do something, anything, with them!
    I know all of you dishnuts and entertain-ers, LOL, are probably horrified and wonder how could anyone NOT have this stuff. At heart I'm a country girl, I wanted to spend all my time outside with horses and dogs and cats. (All animals). Indoors, and kitchens in particular, were avoided as much as possible. As I grew older, I went totally to the dogs...LOL..showing them I mean.
    Luckily I married a guy who liked simple meals and didn't care if they were on glass, plastic, or paper plates. He still doesn't. LOL. And probably wouldn't notice anyway.

My daughter got all the "good genes" from my Mom and my grandmothers. When I joined this Forum, for the first time, I noticed that dishes are actually pretty. LOL. And I'm often tempted to buy them, tho would be a waste of money I'm sure. But something like a tea setting, or maybe a lunch for Myself, or two of my Invisible Friends here could be managed.
    Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    hugs, Karen

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

It's lovely, Karen..very unique..
    And I love Vienna Fingers..reduced fat??

• hi2all
    14 years ago

Very pretty, Karen. Such a nice tea set, and the way it reflects in your new tray is extra nice.

I love those cookies -- now you have made me hungry, you naughty girl!

Lee

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Karen...Now Who's The 'Sly' One Here??

What a wonderful setting. I can't get over all the pretty things you've been hiding..besides your Talent!

I agree with OA >> No More Excuses! Absolutely NONE!!

You have plenty to work with..and what you chose for this setting works so well. I love how you used the new tray, a very pretty one too, and laid out the lace. Luvs sent you just the right color napkins to make it pop. You even had such a cute napkin ring to add to it! AND... I see your having your Tea, (and drinking it from one of your lovely cups that we don't see at the moment)..lol And you're getting ready to READ ...LOL Voila!! You did it and I'ts just great..
    I really love that tea set. It is so unique, and what a wow bargain that was too.

Okay my dear...remember, No More Excuses. So break out the rest of your goodies.. You're officially a Vignette/Tablescaper.. Two Thumbs Up!!

jane

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, I got caught with the Vienna Fingers..no homemade cookies here. LOL. But those do go really good with tea, LOL.

Sly Slinkey, what am I going to do with you? I have one little lace table cloth, 2 napkins, and that pretty tray.
    I don't think you want to see that again. Or do you know 101 ways to make them look different? LOL.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

hmmm...well for starters, you don't Always have to have a tablecloth. You can set up a vignette on just your wood table..or your bed, a little bench...or small side table..coffee table !! ... As for the napkins..that's something to think about. How many hankies does DH have?
    LOL Got any ribbon..you could tie/roll one up with ribbon....stick it in a glass and 'poof it'...Got any fabric and a 'pinking shears'?...
    I'm not letting you off the hook so easy! lol

When you go to bed tonight..think about it!
    Uh Oh...I'm seeing that glare in your eyes...hehehe

jane

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Karen, I knew you could do it! Love that you tucked the leaves in the background. I wouldn't have thought of that or the book of poetry.

You're the one who gave me the courage to try my hand at the stacking plates with all the pictures of your's!

This vignette deserves a special place in "OUR" photo album.

Just be careful... that sweet baby in the painting may just reach down and grab a snack. I think I see his paw slowly inching downward!!

Quick! Pack that BEAUTIFUL tea set up and ship it to me before he breaks it! I already have straws! LOL

Betty

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Betty, you had me cracking up with your last sentence.
    After going thru my books, I finally found one with a pretty cover, and the right 'scale' (I think). My tray was really missing something and not one candle or candle holder I had worked. I finally grabbed that little Fall sprig out of frustration and stuck it on the tray. I wanted some 'color', and until I saw the photo I didn't even realize how it picked up the flowers on the book cover. Lucky accident. LOL.

Keep those tips and instructions coming, Sly! Everyone else feel free to jump in anytime with them too. Like when O.A. was working on her Western Table..what would YOU have added to my silver tea set?

I think I'll pass on stealing more hankies from poor DH. They are white and boring anyway. I may have to shop GW and Dollar Tree for cheap play things! For a long time I've watched for trays at GW but no luck! I really thought they'd be easy to find.

I tried this vignette on THREE tables, LOL. Lighting was wrong on the first two for the silver with my little camera's flash. Which I didn't know till I saw them in large size. Those photos got deleted. The last one worked, whew! I foresee a LOT of trial and error ahead.
    But I'm starting to think this might be fun, even if challenging, for me.

hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Karen,

This is wonderful that you took the plunge and scored a 10. Now I need to know how many years it took before this post so I won't have to feel bad about not trying for a long time. I love looking at all of these and don't know how to think about trying one but know if I stick around I will someday. I didn't say I would be posting a picture just know I will try at some point.LOL

I'm so happy you came up with this and it turned out wonderful. Your service set is so cool and I would be willing to bring my own cup if I lived closer.haha Or are you holding out on us still? It was a fun read and thanks for taking the time to do this.

Punk

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Punk, you better stick around. And don't take as long to try this as I have, LOL, think it was a couple of years. Tho when we had a "tea party" once, I tried joining in using my late grandmother's set. I was a dud I felt, and deleted my photo shortly after I posted it. LOL. The girls have come up with other fun ideas, like "Summer White" setting and a "Flake Off" (tables featuring snowflake accessories).
    I was too chicken to try but it was wonderful to see what all they came up with. All those photos are in our Inspiration albums of course.

Speaking of which, Betty, how sweet to say my little setting here should be in the album. Really made my head swell right up. LOL.

Everyone's compliments have truly meant a lot to me.
    hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Okay Karen...Now that you've taken the 'Plunge'.
    I'm sure you're thinking of so many other possibilities
    using your Lovely things >>>
    And..now you've begun to think Napkins''...great start..
    LOL

jane

• hi2all
    14 years ago

This is such a fun thread. It sure is nice to push other things out of the way for a little while and spend time here with all of you and have a grin or two.

LOL, Betty, do you think that will work, and Karen will send the tea set? It really is a great looking set.

Lee

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

As one of my grandchildren is fond of saying, "SEE! I told you so."
    Everyone's been trying to coax you into this dishes thing for months now. And SEE, they told you you could do it!
    It's not that I don't understand your hesitation. Kathleen, DDelight and others are masters at this - plus their photography could make even MY cooking look great. But there's no competition here. Otherwise, people like Kathleen and DD wouldn't share all their great ideas. They both have pretty fancy blogs, but they always come back here to share and chat.
    I just love this place. It's educational and it's fun. Actually, that's backwards. It's fun and it's educational.
    And, of course, it feeds my addiction.
    And one more thing. You of all people should know how friendly, kind, and generous this forum is. You're one of the biggest "pep talk" contributors here (not to mention our official Pictorial Recorder).
    Remember my Johnny Appleseed Challenge? Lynne cooked up a very cute tablescape even though she was sooo busy.
    Well, I'm putting the pressure on you now. The last week in September is National Dog Week. You've got a year to prepare. Get crackin'!

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Karen, I'm so impressed and so proud of you for doing this! I know how it can be a bit indimidating especially when you know you are going to post pictures!

Everything looks so pretty and inviting sitting there on your table in the glow of the light. That teapot is so darling, I love all the detail work on it. And I'm so impressed with how you realized you could "create" your own tray--it works great! And it looks so nice there on your table as a vignette even if it is never used! The fall leafs do mimic the design on the book and the berries seem to pick up the color of the napkins. It all just looks great.

The best part of doing this is that you get to enjoy all your pretties while looking for and trying out different ones to go in your vignette! I find that things look different in a new setting. (And while you are looking for just the right things to use, you can make a list of things you need to look for--more reasons to shop!) LOL

Betty, you were cracking me up saying the dog in the picture was reaching for the goodies! Sneaky way to get her to send that tea set to you too! LOL

OA, I've never heard of National Dog Week--how do you know these things? LOL Karen will have no problem coming up with a vignette for that--she has a wonderful collection of items to use for that theme. Karen does beautiful displays with decorations for all seasons--the only part new will be adding in some "dishes". ;o)

Luvs

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Karen, that is just the cutest teapot set ever - and with rabbits! I love the tray and you've arranged things perfectly. The napkin picks up the burgundy leaves and the book is a great accent. Looks as if you just picked up your teacup and wondered off! You need to find a yard sale for teacups and tablecloths. I've sometimes found new tablecloths still in their wrapper for next to nothing.

Your buffet lamp looks so much like mine I had to go check to see but they are just a little bit different.

You know we are all expecting more arrangements from you! :-)

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

Reading this thread and each post has just brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful family we have here at Holidays! So friendly, encouraging and PATIENT! We have waited so long for just such a post from Karen! Karen,your little teaset vignette turned out beautifully and I hope with all the honest praise you have recieved, you WILL try your hand at a few more.

Karen said "But I'm starting to think this might be fun, even if challenging, for me."

Sorry, Karen but the part about it being "fun" is the first symptom of the dish-ease taking hold!

DD

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I swear I went to sleep dreaming of napkins and tablecloths. Arrrggghhh. See what you did to me! LOL

OA, the fact some of our gals are such super photographers and table 'setters' doesn't intimidate me really, as I know there's no competition here. And its more like a pep rally when one of us does something to show the others. I think all of us love to see EVERYthing, and truly enjoy it!! My mental blocks with setting a table is what's held me back, I get so frustrated trying to think of WHAT to do and HOW to do it. For some reason, I have no problem with regular decorating, just with table settings! And while I have loads of things to accessorize with (since I'm an obsessed collector of stuff, LOL) its the basics I lack. Napkins, table cloths, silverware, knowledge! LOL. I can't really justify going out and buying that kind of stuff to never use except for photos. And they don't fall under the heading of "collectibles" either. I do have quite a few tea cups in that curio cabinet as you saw. So you may have created a monster here who just does Tea Settings. LOL. Tho when we had that Tea Party last year, those settings have remained my FAVORITE of all the table settings in our albums! I just love the small, intimate, cozy atmosphere of a Tea table. I poured...pun intended...
    over all our table albums last night and tried to really look at every single thing that made each setting work. Including some of the photography! I just have the little digital camera, nothing fancy, but that's ok. I picked up some good ideas for taking photos I think. Hope so anyway. Unfortunately that console table and lamp may be the best place to use, but we'll see what happens.
    I'm just thrilled I finally did something...and that there's NO cat in the photo. LOL. That's hard to do around here too.

hugs, Karen

• jaybird
    14 years ago

You did a beautiful job Karen....
    cats would be okay too :^)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Hey, Miss Karen, don't forget that you live in Phoenix where it's warm all year--so you can carry your goodies outside to do a "scape" too. Just reminding you of all your options! ;o) Luvs

Sponsored
More Discussions