SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

6 foot alcove, 5 foot tub

flseadog
15 years ago

Another day, another issue. Today as we did out curved shower rod experiment I realized we have another problem. Out 5' Kohler Village tub is in a 6' foot alcove. It was designed this way on purpose to allow a one foot wide ledge or seat at the end of the tub. The idea was to have it about 3" to 4" above the 14" tub rim so it could be used as a seat, for all the products that my daughters have overflowing in their current bathroom, and eventually for grandchildren toys, etc.

Here is the problem. Although 6" shower curtain rods are available I hadn't realized until today (when I was experimenting with where to mount a curved rod)that the curtain would drape up over the 12" wide seat/product/toy area at the end of the tub. This will probably keep the shower water in the tub but it's not a very attractive solution.

The only idea I can come up with is to have the builder frame out for a standard 4-1/2" wide wall that would extend for one foot to end where the seat meets the tub. Then I would have a place to mount a 5' rod and the seat/product/toy area would be more like an alcove at the end of the tub than a seat open to the rest of the bathroom.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Comments (4)