SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

I don't like my new house !!

dakota01
14 years ago

New house is in the framing stage, should be under roof by Friday. I just walked thru it and I don't like ANYTHING about it...I am downsizing but I feel that none of the elements that I love are in my new smaller home.

I love openess and high ceilings. I did get 9 ft ceilings throughout, and a vaulted ceiling in the family room. BUT, my vault looks stupid to me. The room is 23W x 20L. I thought the vaulted area would be at least into the middle of the room, turns out it only goes 7 feet from the outside wall then it closes off and the 9 foot ceiling starts. So when you enter the room it's a 9 ft ceiling and you only see the vaulted section when you are deep into the room.

Then I wanted skylites in the vaulted area for more light, I went into the house next door and low and behold from their 2nd floor windows you can see straight into my house! The area you see is right where my sofa and walking area is located. Do they make skylites with privacy glass?

Has anyone else been dissatisfied with the house plan they choose? I can't really change the vault since I have 2 bedrooms and a bath upstairs.

What can I do to feel better about this house, right now, I feel like it was the worst decision of my life...

The whole house feels so closed in.

Comments (8)

• brickton
    14 years ago

Give it time. This is a very common occurrence to second guess things when they are only partially finished. Did you build stock plans? If so are there any finished spaces you could look at to make sure that you will / won't like the final product?

For the skylights, you can either frost the glass with a spray, or a stick on material. Here are examples of both from YHL Spray on cabinet glass
    Window film

• pps7
    14 years ago

Don't panic. This is completely normal. For example, when my brick went up, I got this sick feeling in my stomach, I hated it, I thought it looked really brown and dark. I though they had used the wrong brick b/c it looked nothing like the house we had seen with it. I thought I had made a huge mistake by using black widows. Fast forward one month, they've bricked the entire house and the mortar has dried and lightened and I love it!

Our drywall went up last week and it also makes the space look alot bigger. Putting furntiure in will also make it look bigger-empty rooms always look small.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

You should be able to get skylites with any type of glass. You may have to special order them, so look into it sooner rather than later. They make take awhile to come in.

• iamsum
    14 years ago

Im with ya jeanie, I always second guess my choices these days and we only have a few things left. I wonder if we should have gone with a less open floor plan, or changing the over roof design or front layout. I have grown to be content with the decisions, because ultimately there is nothing you can do unless you are rich and a perfectionist.

• rushmom3
    14 years ago

Jeannie, you are describing my exact feelings last weekend. They are currently sheeting the roof. All my previous time at the house I was so happy, and last weekend I felt like I was having a panic attack. I was showing DB around the house and I got very panicky. I think I scared him. All of a sudden all the things I thought I was getting out of this house didn't seem like they were there. Over the last few days I've calmed down. I just have to go with my gut feeling and trust that the decisions I made during the planning stages (a more calm time) override these feelings of panic I feel now during the stress of the build. I don't know if any of that makes sense. I think stress gets the best of us and plays funny tricks on our minds. I've had to learn some serious breathing techniques to calm these panicky moments. ;-p Long story short....you're not alone! Hang in there.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

What rethree said. Couldn't agree more.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for giving me hope !! I guess it's just so different than my last house that I am having a hard time ajusting to spending all this money and not having exactly what I want.

When you build a home, you should get what you want, but with the housing plan I am moving to, the lots are so small that the type/style of home that I like wouldnt' fit on the lots.

I talked to the builder this morning and he said some of the same things you guys are saying about when the drywall goes up, painting, furniture and I believe it, but it still boils down to not really being the style of home that I am use too. But, since I am newly single I didnt' want a lot of grass to cut or a driveway too large when it came time to shovel snow, so I moved to a plan that offered me that, but took away the privacy and views that I loved.

I guess I'll give it time and if I'm still horribly unhappy, I'll put a For Sale sign up.

I feel guilty that I don't like it, a lot people would be estatic to have a brand new home that is a fairly nice size. I should be happy with what I have..Yet, I'm feeling sad that I don't have what I really want. There are people that have lost thier homes and had to dramatically downsize, move to an apt.etc. and I should be grateful for what I have..