SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dalcolli_gw

Please critique my floorplans!

dalcolli
15 years ago

I am posting my houseplans here for your consideration. I truly appreciate any and all feedback you would be willing to share on my floorplans and ideas.

{{gwi:1443473}}

{{gwi:1443474}}

{{gwi:1443475}}

Also, I would like to build green and energy efficient as much as possible, though more by design (window placement, for example) than materials (solar power and other green methods/technology is still pretty unusual and costly in our area) so I especially appreciate any insights there.

A little about us we have no kids yet but hope that will change soon after moving. We hope this will be our forever home, so we are keeping in mind its uses for a young family through later adapting for the golden years.

A little about location/style - we have just over 4 acres on a sloping lot and plan a one story with walkout, craftsman/mountain/cottage new old kind of look as much as budget allows (details can be expensive!). The back/walkout/long side will face north and we plan to use the lower level as more of a second story flipped upside down rather than a basement  9 foot ceilings, trying to hide soffits, poles, etc. in walls, lots of windows  as this is where the 2 secondary bedrooms, full bath and family room will be (also an exercise/hobby room for me and theater room for DH). We are hoping to use Hardieplank lap siding and Hardie shingle with stone as drawn.

Notes:

-Angled area is theater room, room by stairs is storage/HVAC

-area marked as "office" will be exercise area near windows, back part of room will be hobby/craft area

-possible "safe room" under front porch

Changes we have already made since these were drawn:

-Removed bay window in back and shed dormer over garage for budget

-On lower level, moved HVAC to storage area by stairs and made utility room space part of "office" (actually exercise/hobby room)

Changes we are considering:

Kitchen area:

-Put cooktop on wall with vent hood

-Pocket door to laundry

-I have posted kitchen on kitchen forum and am working on revisions, comments welcome!

Master:

-Change double windows on left to single windows, with width between at least as wide as a king size bed

-Remove pocket doors from closets, added cost, donÂt need any doors there really

Downstairs bedrooms:

-Change double windows on left to single window

-Move up retaining wall for less exterior finishing

Comments (40)