SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Have You Ever Heard of the Glass Inset Falling Out of a Cab Door?

cupofkindness
13 years ago

I am stuck. I've got to reorder an upper wall cabinet, due in part to a drawer/cabinet combination that I hoped would work, which did not.

The drawer/cabinet combination was intended to make the entire cabinet (from base cabinet, granite top, then drawers directly on the granite, and finally the wall cabinet on top of the drawers) look like an antique linen press (without looking "old" per se). The base cabinet and granite are in place, but now I've got to figure out what to do to make this 30" wide by 84" tall cupboard look interesting. The lower base cab holds two large hamper baskets and spare rolls of toilet paper. The upper wall cabinet holds a huge quantity of personal care items for my four daughters, but most of their every day stuff (tooth brushes, hair brushes, skin care, etc.) is in the pair of medicine cabinets in the "sink" room. This cabinet is in the tub/toilet room. Each of these rooms measures 60" wide (think tub alcove) and about 84" across. The sink room is gorgeous, the tub/toilet room could use something wonderful, there is no focal point. So when I reorder the wall cabinet, should I put in patterned glass doors to make the overall piece look more interesting (right now it's white cabinets and a piece of black granite. Lovely looking, but rather boring).

This would be a wall cabinet that gets a fair amount of use (not as much as a basic kitchen cabinet, of course, but still accessed a few times a day). My concern is that over time, the glass would loosen and it might fall out of the door frame and hit the floor (and possibly one of my daughters) and break. The cabinets are white painted maple. My girls are older, teenagers.

I've seen glass doored cabinets in kitchens and realize that those cabinets usually hold things that aren't used on a daily basis, such as knick-knacks or wine glasses. I believe the glass is held in place with a bead of silicone around the inside perimeter. Will the glass ever fall out? Or should I go ahead and order glass doors and not worry about it?

Also, if I order glass doors should I order glass shelves as well? is it best to have the cabinet company install the glass or should I just order the cabinet "prepped for glass" instead? Finally, should the glass be tempered or is that a special consideration? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Comments (2)