SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosedacz

At Wits End with GE Service and Products

rosedacz
14 years ago

Where do I start other than I will never, EVER, buy any GE anything ever again? All of the appliances we have in our house, all GE, have had problems with them early in their use. We are on our 2nd microwave (first one replaced after 1 year), all of the innards of the dishwasher have been replaced, the front-loading washing machine tore apart our clothes needing a new door gasket (which required a second repair visit because the first repaired gasket tore), and lastly our 2nd refrigerator (first one replaced after 6 months) has failed and after 6 repair visits it still does not freeze nor keep anything cool. We are patient folks but our experiences with the refrigerator has pushed us over the edge

Our refrigerator is the smaller French door bottom freezer style (model PFS22MISWW). Like the first one (other than how long it took to fail to cool), the second refrigerator stopped working after nearly 2 years. On the first repair visit the repairman replaced the circuit card. He replaced the circuit card again on the second repair visit in addition to ordering some sensors and thermistors. The third visit had the repairman hooking up his computer to find the circuit card working just fine and the cooling system was not working, ordering a compressor. We had a different repairman on the fourth visit that said not only did we need a compressor but we needed a dryer, evaporator coil, and a condenser coil which he ordered. Both of them came out on the fifth visit to install everything but only installed the compressor saying they would end up melting the plastic liner if they installed the condenser since they were installing it through the freezer. Each of the repair visits were about one week apart since we had to order parts and then schedule another repair visit. WEVE BEEN WITHOUT A REFRIGERATOR FOR 2 MONTHS BECAUSE OF INEPT SERVICE TECHNICIANS AND THE WAY GE DOES REPAIR SCHEDULING!!

After the third repair visit my wife called GE Customer Service and elevated the complaint. She called Customer Service after the fifth failed repair visit to tell them the refrigerator still does not work. All we got was the usual, "We are sorry for your inconvenience." The next call to Customer Service told my wife that they have to send a technician out to verify that the refrigerator still does not work. The technician never really came to the house. Instead we got a phone call from him saying that GE will call us to discuss next steps.

They did call but they offered to go replace the refrigerator again but "with a new model", which actually looked like the one we have. GE could not say whether the cooling system of the new refrigerator was a new design so we told them we have no confidence in anything GE and we want our money back. Even though the cooling system has a 5-year warranty GE has shown they cannot fix it let alone assure us they improved the design to keep these problems from happening again.

Today, GE informed us a Grievance Board met regarding our problems and that they will NOT refund our money. The only thing they will do is replace the refrigerator with another one. And then they had the audacity to tell us if we wanted an upgraded model we would have to pay the difference! We donÂt want another refrigerator that will fail in 6 months to a couple of years or so let along any other appliance that will fail in under a year. We just want our money back.

Hence I am writing this entry to let others know donÂt touch any GE product ever again. Not only are their products junk but they do not stand by them and offer the worst service I can imagine. I used to be an appliance repair technician and I never EVER, treated my customers this way. I made absolute sure my customers were happy by fixing their appliance on the first visit. That is how I kept repeat customers and how I got new customers through their recommendations. My only recommendation here is simply stay away from GE, and I mean GE ANYTHING.

Comments (4)