SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barryv_gw

Bluestar RNB Initial Review.

11 years ago

I just got my Bluestar RNB 30 inch a few weeks ago, and wanted to post an initial review. Most of my comparisons will be with what it replaced, a Viking 30 inch open burner dual fuel.self clean.
First, the owners manual on the BS is pretty skimpy on installation details, and very little on how to operate the oven - do you leave the door open on broil or not - it didn't say, no info on how to remove and reinstall the full extension rack.. On the plus side, it does address adjusting the burners, and there are a few good videos on the website.
The big burners generate a massive amount of heat. I boiled some water in my turbopot, and it was boiling in no time. I definitely feel the upgrade from the Viking 15k burners
Pretty easy to move burner locations, based on info in a post on GW, took maybe 10 minutes.
Overall fit and finish is very good.
Can't review a BS without addressing the hot door. Yes the door is much hotter than my Viking. I have read that some feel it is a design defect, I think it is a design choice not defect. The BS oven is much deeper than my Viking - after feeling the door, I went to look at the Viking and noticed the Viking door is about the same thickness, but it also has a bump in that effectively doubles the thickness of the door - but at the same time, reduces the usable depth of the oven. BS seems to have tried their best to get the biggest oven, so that means no bump in, and so a hotter door. I don't know if you would necessarily notice it in ordinary use, but during the burn in, I noticed I had left some of the packing wrap on the drip tray and went to take it off - wow that was hot. I used a contact probe for my tester ( not an IR Thermo) to measure temps at diff places , I had heated the oven up to 500, then brought it back down to around 350. The face of the door below the glass was 150, the sides were 130, the top ledge was 118, the knobs were 120 and the drip tray edge, which is just over the top of the oven was 200 F. The knobs are metal, a composite plastic would probably be a better choice. They weren't hot to touch, but were pretty warm and a composite would probably feel cooler. Again, in ordinary use, I doubt it will be much of an issue since the door handle is not at all hot and since the burn off I used the oven a few times at 350 and didn't notice any problems
The broiler is a little small - but dd a nice job at some turkey breasts tonight. I have learned from other posters not to use the top rack- instead the second rack and using the broiler pan works pretty well.
The full extension rack is very nice - don't know if they offer a second one as an option, which would be nice.
Overall I am pretty pleased with my choice.

Comments (20)